Often hear that nothing changes

graham59
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Gary D said:

If you can find a clean burning salvaged Japanese truck engine.

I prefer to be positive.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I prefer to be positive.  

I do too, Graham... sorry if you took my postings to be negative... Not sure if you were referring to me in your last postings, but I guess I feel a bit defensive considering my recent posts...?

I do not always express my thoughts and feelings in the most positive way I really intend... I and L (a Filipina) just try to make a bit of a difference with the idea of helping the local culture - not to really change it. I am happy to be living here in this culture - it's fine by me. I did not come here with any intention to change it. But, if I feel I can improve their way of life or their living standard somehow, my feeling is...why not give it a try?

By the way, I should mention that I am not one of the wealthy expats living here... Sure, I am building a house here, but, when that is done, I will be damn near broke... but housing will be paid for...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

The entire jeepney constructions need to be changed - per the new regulations from the government. They need to have the new bodies that load and unload from the right and side and not on the back.

I guess this 2017 law is what you are referring to as the new regulations.  Wiki has good info including financing schemes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Utility_Vehicle_Modernization_Program

Has anyone seen any new Jeepneys?

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I guess this 2017 law is what you are referring to as the new regulations.  Wiki has good info including financing schemes.

Yes OMW... that's what I was referencing, I didn't remember the law, just seeing some articles about it in the news on TV a while ago. I have not seen any new jeepneys here in Davao...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Maybe the boundary system that is in place for all drivers that are non-owners of the jeepneys, baby buses, and tricycles should be replaced with a daily wage? Could be that they would not be so determined to hold up traffic at intersections to load as many passengers as possible! :bash:

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

As I've mentioned in another thread, only the engines need to be exchanged in the traditional Jeepneys, for clean-burning ones...initially.  

I dont believe thats correct. The age of the Jeepney comes into play. They wont be registering them or renewing franchises if the Jeepney is over a certain age.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Has anyone seen any new Jeepneys?

Here in Cebu they are like mini buses. In the IT Park they stop at designated places.There are different new types in Manila I have seen in videos.

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont believe thats correct. The age of the Jeepney comes into play. They wont be registering them or renewing franchises if the Jeepney is over a certain age.

That may well be the case, but that was not the  point of my statement.  People are complaining about belching fumes, inefficient old polluting engines, etc. 

I don't hear of many of the poor folk who use the Jeepneys complaining, and who make up probably 90% of the population of this country....only the wealthy impatient locals and foreigners. 

Considering the MASSIVE increase in vehicular traffic on Philippines roads during the past 20 to 30 years (that I have witnessed), and the distinct lack of new roads to accommodate it, I think the majority of locals cope very well, and the traffic flows REMARKABLY well, except in certain well-known city bottlenecks .  That is not the fault of the poor, so why punish them ?  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

That is not the fault of the poor, so why punish them ? 

I see your point, Graham...

No, it is not the fault of the people who use this strange (to us) transport system...

But I think it needs adjustments due to the huge increase in commuter needs and also in private car use.

The cities here - Manila, Davao and maybe Cebu and others? - were not laid out in logical ways to accommodate current and growing traffic and population patterns. The analysis is actually very simple. The solution(s) are super complex.

Okay... I could go into all kinds of details about things that might re-mediate some of the logjam of traffic, but this is not the place for that... Suffice it to say that the antiquated travel using jeepneys, tricycles and private cars is simply not working. The huge step the government is making requiring modern jeepneys with side doors and efficient engines is wonderful - in my opinion. Also the increased traffic enforcement...

There are so many other steps that need to be taken and I don't really know what they might be. There is so much urban sprawl here that has expanded for so many years without control...

However, modernization of jeepneys, regulation of stops, education for riders - MAYBE these are a few small steps to improve the system and ease the gridlock at least a little bit?

Those are my ideas, right or wrong...

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Those are my ideas, right or wrong...

Words or thoughts of a Missionary Tom :whistling: and they did not do to well either :smile:

• Thanks 1