Coffee

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bastonjock said:

I tend to buy ground coffee and use a percolator,  I haven't done the ground your own beans thing 

I have ground my own coffee for over 30 years... It is a ritual... I may be wrong, but I think freshly ground coffee tastes better than pre-ground  coffee...I did that even before setting sail... I enjoy the grinding and the whole ritual... Yeah... it takes a little while and is a bit of a hassle, but I enjoy it immensely. Part of it is the aroma and part of it is the ritual... Even non-Starbucks works, but it just does not taste as aggressive...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Theres a good YouTube series about an old sea dog , and he kick starts the day with coffee , maybe it's a sailor's thing 

Actually, the sailor's thing -at least for me was to always add a shot of rum to the morning coffee... sort of wakes everything up. I have said in another thread here - if it was okay for Harry Truman to start his day  with a shot of whisky - running the most powerful country on the planet - then it was probably okay for me to have a shot of rum in my morning coffee...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

if it was okay for Harry Truman to start his day  with a shot of whisky - running the most powerful country on the planet -

That is so very Debatable Tom  Laugh icon.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah... you are right, Jack... it was very debatable at that time... and may still be so today...:smile: But I still like the idea of a shot of whisky or rum to start one's day...

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

This ones for Guy F , 

I hope the profanity does not infringe the site rules ,this is a fun reaction to our politicians Screenshot_20191030-100020_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20191030-100020_Facebook.jpg

The UK and the US still have very much in common. To say more would violate forum rules. I will risk one word: tribalism.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I'm with you Guy.  Never much cared for french presses and starbucks, never mind all the copy cats.  Kona is pretty great, and I bought a local grind in Hawaii once that was very good.  But damn this Barako, every single cup is like...ahhh.  

But I won't try that Civet sh*t coffee from Indonesia!  A guy needs to have standards....:cheers:

Coffee is traditionally grown at a minimum 1,000 foot elevation on sloping terrain to assure good drainage.  To be called Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica, the trees must grow at a minimum/maximum elevation. (I forgot the government requirements.)  90% of the beans are exported to Japan.  Each bean is handpicked for perfection.  The remainder are culls, which is roasted and grounded for export, usually sold through mail order or online.  

Philippine coffee is grown in places like Batangas and Benguet.  I visited farms in Cagayan de Oro totaling more than 20,000 trees.  All the beans are destined for export to Japan, Korea, China, etc.  Tanay, Rizal where our family farm is located has become a coffee growing area.   The production are sold as gourmet coffee at Metro Manila high end stores.  My Father had a few coffee trees, but it was all for family consumption and gift giving to friends.

Someone once gifted me a 2 ounce jar of Civet processed coffee.  The packaging claims it's from Mindanao.  The beans were almond color.  He later asked me about the taste.  I responded, "It tastes like sh*t."  Actually, it was pretty good although rather mild. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 3 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

My wife's family are from the mountains in northern Luzon. One thing that I loved on my first visit was the large thermos they had which was always filled with hot coffee. Coffee from their own local beans. Last time we visited I helped a bit as my father in law roasted some beans then turned them into a coffee powder using a large stone bowl mortar and a 6 foot long wood pestle.

My wife related that when she was a child they would go pick some coffee beans then exchange them for for a piece of candy at the local sari sari.

On my first visit my wife's father took me around to meet people one morning. At each home we stopped at we were invited to share some coffee. No 3 in 1 or instant in sight. Very much a coffee culture in the mountains.

• Like 5

Jack D
Posted
Posted

Just like the rest of us, I faced many cultural differences when I first came to the Philippines.  3-in-1 coffee was just one of them, since I had never seen that type of coffee before.

When my visit turned into an indefinite stay with my 13a visa, I purchased a drip coffee maker, but I was surprised to learn that I was going to go through many communication problems with my DW about where (and how) to buy coffee.

Finally, after many discussions, my DW said that they sell some type of beans at the local wet market (palengke), and people soak them in hot water to make some type of drink. 

Hmmm, sounded like coffee beans to me, so I went there and found Barako coffee for the very first time. They charged me 500p for a kilo but when my DW went there without me, they charged her 300p for a kilo, so I completely stopped shopping at the palengke, and let me DW do all of the shopping there.

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I love the Barako coffee. My wife thinks it's too strong.  I usually buy a couple of Kilos when I go to the market in Nasugbu, Batangas.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, Jack D said:

local wet market

On 11/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, Jack D said:

They charged me 500p for a kilo but when my DW went there without me, they charged her 300p for a kilo, so I completely stopped shopping at the palengke, and let me DW do all of the shopping there.

I have never been to the wet market or appeared with my wife there for this very reason.  I think once they associate your with with a foreigner, her bargaining power goes way down!

• Like 1