Steel P.E.F. Construction

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

There is a company called Steelfab here in Subic that does Pre Engineered Buildings.  I'm not sure if this link to a video on FB will work but it looks like it does.  Everything is designed on a computer then cut out in the factory.  What I like about it is the shortened construction time as well as the supposed safety.  One of the obstacles I am facing with renovating my house is the time we will not be able to live in it while work is ongoing, so shortening the time is important.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

These guys have been around for years in Australia slowly gaining traction.  Mainly due to the fact no wood boring pests affect the structure, the speed at which the frame is put up and the longevity of the build.  It's all pre-fab'd in the factory i.e. assembled etc so very quick to put up on site.  More expensive than traditional wood-frame the long-term cost benefits outweigh this to my mind.  With regards to earthquakes it's less flexible than wood which can be a both a positive and negative.  

Just as an aside, a mate of mine who's a pest control guy hates these things, no chemical barriers required by law, they are in most states in Australia on all new construction with traditional wood.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

ust as an aside, a mate of mine who's a pest control guy hates these things, no chemical barriers required by law, they are in most states in Australia on all new construction with traditional wood.  

I'm not sure I am following.  Can you elaborate about "chemical barriers"?  I have no idea what that is in a wood house.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Basically it's a porous tube filled with pest control chemicals that keep termites etc away.  About 5k AUD to install.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don, is this what you wanted posted?

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Basically it's a porous tube filled with pest control chemicals that keep termites etc away.  About 5k AUD to install.  

Oh, I think I understand the context now.  "No chemical barriers required by law in the steel framed buildings".  So the pest control guys hate them because they lose business.

However, a good thing for the homeowner!  Especially in the Philippines!

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have often thought of a metal framed home and then just fill in the gaps with what ever building material you fancy, but most folk say it’s the cost, but look at the timeframe it could be built in.

Here in England watching. Small industrial estate being constructed this way is amazing and once built they look like you could live in , well I could .

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I live in a very old house. Whenever the landlord sends someone over to replace an old piece of wood, they soak the ends of the wood in used motor oil first. Termites don't like it.:Happy:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I live in a very old house. Whenever the landlord sends someone over to replace an old piece of wood, they soak the ends of the wood in used motor oil first. Termites don't like it.:Happy:

Use to soak the fence post in old motor oil before they went into the earth, lasted ages, 

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Here they treat the posts with Solignum before putting them in the ground.