What do you love about living in the Philippines?

Jack D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I have developed a bit of a relationship with my bank branch. They now pile the stacks of banknotes into a plastic (cello) bag and then load that into my backpack that I hand over the teller window... It is at least partially discreet!!!

I really hope that they're not putting a dye pack in there. Just kidding you Tom. :laugh:

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, boyee said:

Tommy T

I thought it is possible to inherit your wife's land.  I was under the impression her children get first dibs then the spouse.  Or was it Children, parents, siblings, next door neighbor, mail man then foreign husband?  

Don't forget the dogs, cats, chickens, ducks..............foreign husband.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Foreigners cannot currently own land here in the Philippines....period... That's the law... sorry gery0x.

I think a foreigner is still allowed to own land if acquired via inheritance.  Philippine Constitution of 1987, Article X11, Section 7:

Section 7. Save in cases of hereditary succession, no private lands shall be transferred or conveyed except to individuals, corporations, or associations qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think a foreigner is still allowed to own land if acquired via inheritance.  Philippine Constitution of 1987, Article X11, Section 7:

Section 7. Save in cases of hereditary succession, no private lands shall be transferred or conveyed except to individuals, corporations, or associations qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.

Thanks for the correction to my incorrect understanding, Mike!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, boyee said:

I thought it is possible to inherit your wife's land.

According to MikeJ, I stand corrected. My understanding was always that foreigners could not own Philippine land. I must check again with my local lawyer about that... 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, boyee said:

I thought it is possible to inherit your wife's land.  I was under the impression her children get first dibs then the spouse.  Or was it Children, parents, siblings, next door neighbor, mail man then foreign husband?  

According to Mike J, it sounds like you may be right. But here you need to check whether that is a "mail man" or ??? Could be a female gay?:laugh:

I guess that the main point for me is that I am not yet married to my Filipina and she is also a bit younger than me. Two points that minimize the possibility of my owning land. I am happy to now have a 50 year lease on the land for our home that is under construction. No way will I outlive that lease, so it makes no difference to me. I just want my future wife to have a secure home on land that she can eventually own after I have lived my time and enjoyed it with her... How does that sound?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack D said:

I really hope that they're not putting a dye pack in there. Just kidding you Tom. :laugh:

Thanks for the concern, Jack... But I am not worried because the dye packs here in the Philippines probably won't work!:hystery:

So far, so good!!!

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

According to Mike J, it sounds like you may be right. But here you need to check whether that is a "mail man" or ??? Could be a female gay?:laugh:

I guess that the main point for me is that I am not yet married to my Filipina and she is also a bit younger than me. Two points that minimize the possibility of my owning land. I am happy to now have a 50 year lease on the land for our home that is under construction. No way will I outlive that lease, so it makes no difference to me. I just want my future wife to have a secure home on land that she can eventually own after I have lived my time and enjoyed it with her... How does that sound?

That's assuming you never marry your gf, as soon as you do the lease will become void as it would then become conjugal property. As to inheritance, First your wife would need to be an only child with no living parents and no children. Also this is hard to pin down but you can inherit the land but must dispose of it in a timely maner and can only sell it to a citizen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gary D said:

That's assuming you never marry your gf, as soon as you do the lease will become void as it would then become conjugal property. As to inheritance, First your wife would need to be an only child with no living parents and no children. Also this is hard to pin down but you can inherit the land but must dispose of it in a timely maner and can only sell it to a citizen.

Good clarification, Gary. The land ownership situation is so convoluted here with all the most distant relatives able to make claims on any land...

So what you are saying, as I read your comment is that, as a non-citizen inheritor of land, you must still sell or give it away quickly and cannot hold it? I am just asking this rhetorically since I will not experience this situation. Now I am just very curious about the process...

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Good clarification, Gary. The land ownership situation is so convoluted here with all the most distant relatives able to make claims on any land...

So what you are saying, as I read your comment is that, as a non-citizen inheritor of land, you must still sell or give it away quickly and cannot hold it? I am just asking this rhetorically since I will not experience this situation. Now I am just very curious about the process...

Our next door neighbour is an Australian lady who was married to a local judge. He died a couple of years ago and within a few weeks the house was on the market. She wanted to remain in the house but unfortunately she is required to now dispose of the property. 

I wold think if a judge is unable to find ways to circumvent property law in favour of his foreign wife, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of us poor mortals who find themselves in a similar position!

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1