Battle of Midway Movie

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2019 at 4:16 AM, Guy F. said:

Sometimes I think only veterans should be allowed to hold office and vote. I think unnecessary wars would thusly be avoided.

In the future I will change that from 'veterans' to 'college grads'.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, Arizona Kid said:

I've watched that movie probably 6 or 7 times. I remember that they wanted to see if their communications were being decoded by the Japanese, so they sent a message about some kind of water problem or something like that, and sure enough, the Japanese codes that they were breaking mirrored the same thing. Great movie!:clapping_80_anim_gif: 

I watched a few clips on you tube and the actors were very much into the historical acuracy ,on one scene there is a japanese bomber that dives on one of the USA carriers and a guy called joey (real name ) runs over and jumps into a usa aircraft and uses the rear machine gun to shoot the jap plane down , the jap plane hits the side of the flight deck and its wing slices joeys plane in half 

In the movie joey gets a lot of back slapping and goes off to see admiral halsey ,in real life he hid from the admiral as he thought he was going to get busted for leaving his post  sadley joey got executed by the japs  later he got shot down and captured then executed , also shown in the movie

• Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, Guy F. said:

Sometimes I think only veterans should be allowed to hold office and vote. I think unnecessary wars would thusly be avoided.

During the peace talks between the brits  french and germans 

The brit prime minister and hitler got talking about WW1 and they both realised that they had been shooting at each other from opposiing trenches 

After the meeting ended  the french president told off the brit prime minister for not managing to kill Hitler in WW1

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

During the peace talks between the brits  french and germans 

The brit prime minister and hitler got talking about WW1 and they both realised that they had been shooting at each other from opposiing trenches 

After the meeting ended  the french president told off the brit prime minister for not managing to kill Hitler in WW1

Was that the Hollywood film were Churchill was talking to the ghost of Hitler who had die just before the end of the war, or the facebook version.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/10/2019 at 7:40 AM, bastonjock said:

Just seen this at the cinema tonight  , I found it to be an excellent film , a real dedication to those brave guys who flew those planes 

I admit that I did not know a great deal about the battle , but I read up on it before seeing the film , it was one or those great battles that turn the tide of war

I grew up being fed my dads story which was in our Navy and commandos in WW2 , names like dunkirk , dieppe , salerno and Sicily were more known to me 

A cracking film,  respect to those American Airmen 

Was I the only who noticed at the end of the new great movie there was a note.  "Battle of the Philippine Sea"  coming soon.  There have been several movies made about Midway. All are good.  However, I have seen several documentaries on the Battle of the Philippine Sea but not a movie yet that I'm aware of.  

It should be really good too.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

Was that the Hollywood film were Churchill was talking to the ghost of Hitler who had die just before the end of the war, or the facebook version.

It was on a history channel documentary,  apparently Hitler and Chamberlain cleared the discussion chamber and used it as a make shift plan of the trenches and they both agreed that they had been shooting at each other 

The French president said to Chamberlain afterwards , pity you did not kill the bugger 

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Pretty sure you haven't "watched that movie probably 6 or 7 times." as this is the New 2019 Remake, in theaters now but not released to video/streaming/etc until Feb 2020.

However, I have also watched the 1976 version at least 6 or 7 times.

Maybe I should have been more specific for those who can't put 2 and 2 together. Of course it was the older movie.:unsure:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It was on a history channel documentary,  apparently Hitler and Chamberlain cleared the discussion chamber and used it as a make shift plan of the trenches and they both agreed that they had been shooting at each other 

The French president said to Chamberlain afterwards , pity you did not kill the bugger 

Yes but Churchill couldn't be talking to Hitler because he was already dead before the war ended.

Jack D
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes but Churchill couldn't be talking to Hitler because he was already dead before the war ended.

There are many arguments and debates about whether or not Hitler actual died before the end Of WWII.

-snip-

ARGUMENT 1: HITLER ESCAPED BERLIN

Picture the scene: Berlin, 1945. The city has been shattered by Allied bombings. Soviet soldiers are fighting in the streets, getting ever closer to Adolf Hitler's underground bunker where he and his new bride Eva Braun, along with the Fuhrer's last remaining friends and advisors, slowly face up to the truth of their defeat.

According to the generally accepted version of events, Hitler and Eva Braun decided to commit suicide rather than be taken into enemy hands. But according to controversial historian Gerrard Williams, author of Grey Wolf: The Escape of Adolf Hitler, that's not exactly what happened.

"There's no forensic evidence whatsoever to suggest that Hitler or Eva Braun died in the bunker," Williams says. "There is a huge amount of contemporary news reporting to say that he escaped and made it to Argentina where he lived until 1962."

According to Williams and other historians, Hitler and his wife made their escape through a network of bunkers beneath battle-torn Berlin. They resurfaced at a boulevard which had been turned into a makeshift runway. Here, a Luftwaffe pilot called Peter Baumgart frantically flew the Fuhrer and Eva Braun to Denmark. They later flew on to Spain where they were allegedly aided by dictator General Franco, and eventually took a gruelling submarine trip across the Atlantic to Argentina.

Peter Baumgart would later testify in court that he did indeed fly Hitler to safety in 1945. Numerous eyewitness reports also claim that Hitler was spotted in Argentina for years after that, in locations ranging from restaurants to hotels to hospitals. Many parts of Argentina were thoroughly "Germanified", complete with Nazi ex-pats and buildings modelled after Bavarian cottages, so Hitler would have fitted in rather well, just like infamous Nazis Josef Mengele and Adolf Eichmann. There is even the possibility that the Nazis cut a deal with the Allies, bribing them with German military secrets in order to be left alone.

Here's another thing to bear in mind. Skull fragments recovered by the Soviets in Berlin, once thought to belong to Hitler, were later discovered to have come from a woman. Stalin himself believed Hitler had evaded capture, and recently declassified FBI reports reveal that J. Edgar Hoover had pondered the real whereabouts of the Fuhrer.

In the words of war hero General Eisenhower, who would go on to become US President, "There is every assumption that Hitler is dead, but not a bit of conclusive proof that he is dead."

-snip-

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/blogs/article/hitler-survive/

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jack D said:

There are many arguments and debates about whether or not Hitler actual died before the end Of WWII.

-snip-

ARGUMENT 1: HITLER ESCAPED BERLIN

Picture the scene: Berlin, 1945. The city has been shattered by Allied bombings. Soviet soldiers are fighting in the streets, getting ever closer to Adolf Hitler's underground bunker where he and his new bride Eva Braun, along with the Fuhrer's last remaining friends and advisors, slowly face up to the truth of their defeat.

According to the generally accepted version of events, Hitler and Eva Braun decided to commit suicide rather than be taken into enemy hands. But according to controversial historian Gerrard Williams, author of Grey Wolf: The Escape of Adolf Hitler, that's not exactly what happened.

"There's no forensic evidence whatsoever to suggest that Hitler or Eva Braun died in the bunker," Williams says. "There is a huge amount of contemporary news reporting to say that he escaped and made it to Argentina where he lived until 1962."

According to Williams and other historians, Hitler and his wife made their escape through a network of bunkers beneath battle-torn Berlin. They resurfaced at a boulevard which had been turned into a makeshift runway. Here, a Luftwaffe pilot called Peter Baumgart frantically flew the Fuhrer and Eva Braun to Denmark. They later flew on to Spain where they were allegedly aided by dictator General Franco, and eventually took a gruelling submarine trip across the Atlantic to Argentina.

Peter Baumgart would later testify in court that he did indeed fly Hitler to safety in 1945. Numerous eyewitness reports also claim that Hitler was spotted in Argentina for years after that, in locations ranging from restaurants to hotels to hospitals. Many parts of Argentina were thoroughly "Germanified", complete with Nazi ex-pats and buildings modelled after Bavarian cottages, so Hitler would have fitted in rather well, just like infamous Nazis Josef Mengele and Adolf Eichmann. There is even the possibility that the Nazis cut a deal with the Allies, bribing them with German military secrets in order to be left alone.

Here's another thing to bear in mind. Skull fragments recovered by the Soviets in Berlin, once thought to belong to Hitler, were later discovered to have come from a woman. Stalin himself believed Hitler had evaded capture, and recently declassified FBI reports reveal that J. Edgar Hoover had pondered the real whereabouts of the Fuhrer.

In the words of war hero General Eisenhower, who would go on to become US President, "There is every assumption that Hitler is dead, but not a bit of conclusive proof that he is dead."

-snip-

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/blogs/article/hitler-survive/

So you are right and I'm wrong Churchill did meet Hitler at the end of the war, I sure you must have it documented somewhere.

• Haha 2