Debut in Baguio!

• 2 weeks later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 3/19/2023 at 11:33 PM, Greglm said:

Ostentatious celebrations seem to be the norm here, especially among the nouveau "rich". I attended one birthday celebration for a child that was way over done and sat that wondering if the money could not have been better spent enrolling the child in a better school. My wife's opinion? It is all about appearances today not tomorrow, that's the Filipino thinking. When our daughter had her 7th birthday my wife ordered a cake from SM, cooked some great food, put up some decorations and invited family and friends. We sat in the nipa hut outside and enjoyed ourselves while the children played. When some people asked where is the clown for entertainment she said, I married him.

My wife and I see it happen all the time.  That " look at what I have" way of thinking.  We don't play those games.  My wife hits it on the head when we tell her family "We are practical people".  They have actually started taking some of our advice about saving for the future though, so I still have hope.😀

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/19/2023 at 9:59 PM, OnMyWay said:

So this was all about showing off the wealth of the father, and not much about the daughter.  My wife said it was very much an adult party, not a kids party.  She guestimates they spend at least a million pesos on the party.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:35 PM, stevewool said:

It’s all about outdoing the last one ,that’s my thoughts.

Well, I think @stevewool is right.  My wife and 7 yo daughter went to another classmate's grand 7th birthday party this past Friday night.  In a hotel ballroom.  200-300 guests.  Elaborate shows and games for the kids.  Tons of food.  Each kid got a backpack full of gifts.  My wife estimates 1 million plus.

Not sure how the mom affords it.  My wife found out her husband died, so she is a single mom.  To her credit, the little girl is very smart and a top student.  Apparently the dad had left the family before he died.

• Sad 1