Chaos at NAIA Terminal 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

This is basically what happened to me and SWMBO 12 months ago.

We couldn't be interviewed until we had boarding passes and they don't issue boarding passes until gates open, then you line up and they diverted SWMBO to a solo interview and I had to wait... and wait... and wait.  Eventually she was cleared but we'd already missed our flight and been stamped out through customs.

So we had to find someone to cancel the stamp and then we had to try and work out what to do.

I thought at the time I'd be able to claim on travel insurance but because it was 'immigration related' the insurance company refused the claim :(

Ended up costing us over 100,000 peso in wasted flights and accommodation.

I don't know of a fix for this issue for this problem either, since we didn't actually exit I expect the same problem could happen next time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

All of the above confirms that if we are travelling out of the country, we will use Hong Kong rather than Manilla as our "international" departure point - we can fly to HK from Iloilo.  We did it before with minimal issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love it 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Are we talking girlfriend or wife here, probably makes a difference.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

This is basically what happened to me and SWMBO 12 months ago.

Geoff can you clarify, was this her first trip abroad?  RBM is indicating this new procedure is for first-timers, I just want to make sure its not something they are trying to pull every time now. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I am probably missing something here... What's preventing a person and his spouse or girlfriend from just standing either in different lines or separate in line - like 10 people apart so that they aren't linked together as a couple?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

To clarify... this was the first trip out of the Philippines for SWMBO, we were on the same plane booking.

I was actually told that I was allowed to proceed onto the plane by immigration staff whilst she completed her interview, good thing I didn't because I would have ended up in Singapore whilst she was still in Manila.

Immigration said she would  have been sent for an interview even if she was by herself because it was her first overseas trip so standing in a line by herself wouldn't have helped.

To clarify I don't have a problem with interviews being done, it's just that the time taken caused us to miss our flight.

We were faced with a choice of rebooking last minute (at our cost of 39,000 peso) or staying in Manila, in retrospect we should have rebooked but at the time I (wrongly as it turned out) believed I'd be able to claim against my travel insurance.

Unless it's changed recently this is a 'first time' travel thing, there was another person who'd missed their flight as well.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I am probably missing something here... What's preventing a person and his spouse or girlfriend from just standing either in different lines or separate in line - like 10 people apart so that they aren't linked together as a couple?

But that would require telling a lie to the Immigration Official when they ask if you are travelling alone or otherwise, Tom.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1