Question about Stop Signs

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Having read the Philippines road rules I am still in the dark about what happens at Stop Signs here in the Philippines.

Example:

I arrive at a stop sign at a 4 way intersection, I am on a minor road and intend to cross the major road which is at the stop sign I am at.

On the opposite side of the road there are vehicles, tricycles and motor bikes 3 abreast of course on a single lane road, all of these vehicles have their left indicators on attempting to leave the minor road and go onto the main road in front of me.

Now this is doing my head in because where I come from and I do realize that it doesn't count where I come from, but my understanding is that those vehicles wishing to turn left in front of me should yield to me, in other words let me cross first. Now it isn't a big deal for me to let a couple of cars go first, but here in the province you let one in and it means that you let the other 50 vehicles go before you as well.

tia

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My limited understanding is that it's first to stop is the first to go. Most all locals understand it less than me.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Having read the Philippines road rules I am still in the dark about what happens at Stop Signs here in the Philippines.

First... and I am really not kidding... most Filipinos ignore most traffic rules. Here, the first vehicle anywhere will proceed through without even pausing and often without even looking.

Secondly... do not trust any vehicle indicators - they often mean nothing. They will turn on their left indicator to show that they are pulling to the curb on the right. They will indicate right while in the right lane and then turn left. If they have their hazards flashing, you have no idea what they might do - including stopping dead in the middle of the road or even backing up. If they flash their lights at you we are not really sure what that means but it can often mean that they intend to cut in front of you, so keep your foot hovering over the brake...

I have an unconscious habit of checking the front wheels of cars next to me or, especially, when they are stopped or pulled over. Doing this can give an indication if they are about to turn into you or just start rolling forward. It can be a good early warning sign about what they might do.

Lastly... try to expect the unexpected. I have written this many times - try to think of the stupidest thing a driver or pedestrian might do and expect them to do it. Defensive driving here is a joke - not nearly safe enough.

Taxis and jeepneys will pull out right in front of you if they are one millimeter ahead of you - usually without warning or signal. Try searching here in the forum and you will find tales of experiences and behaviour that might help you.

Good luck and stay safe!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Tommy,

Yes, I know exactly I am picking up what you are putting down, in my example is what happened to me this morning and knowing full well that Phillipinos do not know anything about anything to do with the road rules, or heaven forbid it road courtesy, I let a few cars go and then I put my hand on the horn and barged through the intersection, which is what I observed in Manila, and it seems to work there.

Shortly after that I was doing a leisurely 30kmh behind a tricycle loaded with bags of cement and had to brake hard when a Jeepney came out at me from the right at a stop sign.

I just don't know.

• Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

There is a new SM store opening here next March, so for some reason and I wouldn't like to point a finger, but the police for the first time ever have started to crack down on all vehicles in the main street of town, so there is no parking in front of any of the businesses that occupy the main street.

If I was a cynical person I would suggest that the owners of the new mega store, which has a huge carpark  want some of their investment back, so how better to do it, ban parking in front of all the shops in the main street.

So back on subject, there is no parking in the street, so here also you have the parked motor bikes and scooter parked on the sidewalk, which really is not a sidewalk but a strip of concrete for bikes to park on.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I gave up driving here in 2013 ! Nobody sticks to the rules, parking on the roads although its meant to be illegal theres tricycles parked everywhere ! And if your involved in an accident here guess who will be blamed ? If you own and drive a car here you need a dashcam !

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There are no traffic rules. Generally larger vehicles have the right of way because they may kill you.

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Adherance to traffic signs is, at best, optional for some locals, the remainder either do not see road signs or just ignore them! As for roundabouts, as we brits call them, otherwise known as circles or rotundas, they are a complete mystery to the vast majority of filipino drivers.

Two good maxims that has stood me in good stead driving here over the years, is EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED and SEE AND AVOID! 

• Love it 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Huh. I thought STOP stood for Spin Tires On Pavement.

• Haha 4