Antibiotics

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Having spent most of the day finding a doctor without waiting for 4 hours, finally found one. I cut my back on a rusty iron bar, not serious but I needed a tetanus booster.

The doctor prescribed me pain killers which I declined, Antibiotics which I really don't want to take, Heard that your body can get use to them and won't fight infections. Anybody heard this?

Eve cleaned the cut and rubbed some rubbing alcohol in and then some iodine, so it's good and clean, no infections. So it's been a long day.

Should I take the antibiotics or not having heard the stories about them? 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Having spent most of the day finding a doctor without waiting for 4 hours, finally found one. I cut my back on a rusty iron bar, not serious but I needed a tetanus booster.

The doctor prescribed me pain killers which I declined, Antibiotics which I really don't want to take, Heard that your body can get use to them and won't fight infections. Anybody heard this?

Eve cleaned the cut and rubbed some rubbing alcohol in and then some iodine, so it's good and clean, no infections. So it's been a long day.

Should I take the antibiotics or not having heard the stories about them? 

I have heard that many if not most antibiotics have become ineffective in general, but have taken them on and off over the years with very mixed results.  The latest batch was about a month ago - a 4-week course which proved to be effective.  

I don't think a single course will do any harm and hopefully some good.  

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, roddavis said:

I'm not a doctor, but do not take antibiotics unless your showing some bacteria in your blood sample.

First off if it is not needed, you just propagating the issue of bacteria getting more resistent.

Second, and this is a new one that effects us older generation is, when you use antibiotics( if you need to) , this kills off some/all (good/bad bacteria) from your digestive tract. This can cause other problems. Then it can take upto six moths to recover the good bacteria in your gut!

All of the above is good info. (I'm not so sure about the blood sample part though as much of the time doctors will prescribe based on symptoms etc).

As my Doctors have said on more than one occasion - sometimes medication of any kind is simply the lesser of two evils!  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

tetanus booster.

Are good for about 10 years.

1 hour ago, jimeve said:

cleaned the cut and rubbed some rubbing alcohol in and then some iodine, so it's good and clean, no infections

When I was young, iodine was a cure all for cuts.  Don't see it used that often anymore.  On deep cuts, clean it up and super glue it together.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Accept the painkillers and save them for when you really need them.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

strap
Posted
Posted

The main thing with antibiotics is that if you do start a course of antibiotics, you need to continue it til the end, even if you feel like you're cured before then. Otherwise you may leave behind a few stray bacteria, which are most likely to be the strongest, most drug-reisistant.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

All of the above is good info. (I'm not so sure about the blood sample part though as much of the time doctors will prescribe based on symptoms etc).

As my Doctors have said on more than one occasion - sometimes medication of any kind is simply the lesser of two evils!  

This is part of the problem with antibiotics. They have been used too much by doctors and in places where you can buy them yourself without prescription. Because of this, they are not effective on many bacteria now. It is also important to take a blood sample, as Rod said, because you need to know what kind of antibiotics it is you need. Different bacteria, different antibiotics. I got antibiotics one time when I was in Philippines, the wound still didn´t heal, when I got home I visited my own doc and they took a blood sample to make sure what antibiotics it was I needed. 1 week later all was fine, but as strap said, you still need to finish the course.

Antibiotics are only effective on bacteria NOT on viruses.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Most doctors will prescibe antibiotics for most ailments here. Standard practice.... but the ey wont prescribe more than twice a year , or maybe its no more than twice in 6 months...but, not taking antibiotics doesnt stop the bodies immunity to them though. Every farm raised animal that we eat , is full of them so they are in your body whether you take them or dont.......

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1