FAX to the U.S.A.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How do you attach a physical photo copy to an e-mail?  :89:

As mentioned, this is the California Franchise Tax Board, and they make the rules.  Break them and they break your knee caps.  They have decided I owe them $2229 for 2015 and said they sent a first letter in September which was never received at my sister's address I use for mailing.  So I have until 1/31/2020 to "protest", and that can be by snail mail or fax only.

Now this is despite the fact that I sent them the same information about 2016 last August, and the same for some other years.  For some reason it just does not register in their small brains that I do not live in California and do not owe them any of their 10+% state tax!!!

Yes, I need to change my mailing address to another state, but it kind of sucks that the only reason I need to do it is because of these idiots.  California has gone down the drain is so many ways!  Very sad!

Do you have a friend or family outside California to whom you could email them what you need faxed?  I did that once when  needed for something with my retirement when I could not locate a location here to send a fax for me.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Do you have a friend or family outside California to whom you could email them what you need faxed?  I did that once when  needed for something with my retirement when I could not locate a location here to send a fax for me.

No need.  These online fax services are cheap and work from PH.  I'm going to try one shortly and I will let you know how it works.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

It may sound Strange Dave but the UK only accept a "FAX" as this is from a telephone line and can't be altered midway as an email can be doctored. Receiving a Fax is considered a  binding thing, but as we say YMMV :smile:

Which is even sillier because the vast majority of faxes sent today are sent using email to fax gateways (like the one I and another poster mentioned in earlier posts).

And business that send faxes mostly use computer servers to generate them, not old style fax machines.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How do you attach a physical photo copy to an e-mail?  :89:

If you have Gmail it's very easy. I've done it before when communicating with the US Embassy in Manila.:mellow:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Which is even sillier because the vast majority of faxes sent today are sent using email to fax gateways (like the one I and another poster mentioned in earlier posts).

And business that send faxes mostly use computer servers to generate them, not old style fax machines.

The fax number at the Us Embassy works fine. I used it last year to fax them the dead or alive form to Social Security. Might have to use it again this year as I didn't receive the form again. It's frustrating that I receive my debit and credit cards at my FPO address, but SSA can't send it there even though I give them the address every friggin time. :Mad:  

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, intrepid said:

As mentioned, this is the California Franchise Tax Board, and they make the rules.

When I still lived in San Diego I had a problem with them, buy the time I asked them to agree to a payment plan they zero'd my bank account. I had to borrow money just to pay my rent. Those guys are ruthless. :angry:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How do you attach a physical photo copy to an e-mail?

Same as a fax.

I do it by going into Cangs in Dumaguete and walking upstairs to their photo/copy/fax/email center.  I ask them to make a copy and email it to me.  Then I can print it at home or forward it to someone else.  Anyone with an email address and a printer can receive it and print it out just like a fax.  As GeoffH says, this is how the fax by email systems work.  Its just someone or some computer at the other end receiving your fax (email) and printing it out then faxing it.  If you know anyone with a fax machine, email address and printer you can send to them and they can forward it via fax. . .  damn shame that some agencies still have a love affair with faxes.  I just did a Visa application to the Canadian governement and every document was sent as a pdf via email. . .  everything.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Same as a fax.

I do it by going into Cangs in Dumaguete and walking upstairs to their photo/copy/fax/email center.  I ask them to make a copy and email it to me.  Then I can print it at home or forward it to someone else.  Anyone with an email address and a printer can receive it and print it out just like a fax.  As GeoffH says, this is how the fax by email systems work.  Its just someone or some computer at the other end receiving your fax (email) and printing it out then faxing it.  If you know anyone with a fax machine, email address and printer you can send to them and they can forward it via fax. . .  damn shame that some agencies still have a love affair with faxes.  I just did a Visa application to the Canadian governement and every document was sent as a pdf via email. . .  everything.

OK, technically, that is a scan, not a copy.  :smile:

Yup, this the first fax I have sent since I moved here.  The form I am sending has a barcode and most like their fax system has OCR, and everything is automated to read the faxes into their computer system.  They probably receive thousands of these everyday.

Same thing could be done with an e-mail based system, but the salesman for the fax based system must have offered better kickbacks to the scum in Sacramento.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just used Fax Fresh to fax 4 pages to the crooks in Sacramento.  It only cost $1.99 and was very easy to pay using PayPal.  I could have used a credit card.

They sent a confirmation e-mail that included the receiver CSID: Franchise Tax Board.

I would recommend Fax Fresh.  No signing up, cheap and if you use PayPal, they don't get much info from you.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

OK, technically, that is a scan, not a copy.

Hmm.  You have me confused.  Tomato  tomahto comes to mind.  Anyway you have your situation figured out so its all good.