Expat motorcycle financing?

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted

I'll be moving to Philippines in a couple weeks. I'm a disabled veteran, have my monthly direct deposit, which is my only income right now. I have a friend there that's helping me search for a place once I arrive, and I've got my budget worked out. It's going to be tight living for a while, but I can manage.

I would like to get a motorcycle, something to get around the city and take a road trip every once in a while. I am not currently earning enough to finance anything big, but the Rusi 250 is only about 80k cash price. I am going to try and finance one, and I was curious if anyone else had experience trying to finance?

I will be opening a local bank account after I arrive, I have found a few banks that will allow it. I will then begin monthly transfers of funds from my USAA account to the local bank account. Going to be 3 months before I get my ACR card, if I recall correctly.

I have been told by several people that I am able to finance if I have my ACR card, proof of monthly direct deposits, local bank account, local rental agreement, and enough time remaining on my passport.

I know I can just wait a few weeks until I'm there, and just walk into a bike shop and ask about the financing options. But I would like to get some info before I leave, if possible. I'd appreciate any comments or feedback regarding your experience financing a bike.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Ninpo2dan said:

I'll be moving to Philippines in a couple weeks. I'm a disabled veteran, have my monthly direct deposit, which is my only income right now. I have a friend there that's helping me search for a place once I arrive, and I've got my budget worked out. It's going to be tight living for a while, but I can manage.

I would like to get a motorcycle, something to get around the city and take a road trip every once in a while. I am not currently earning enough to finance anything big, but the Rusi 250 is only about 80k cash price. I am going to try and finance one, and I was curious if anyone else had experience trying to finance?

I will be opening a local bank account after I arrive, I have found a few banks that will allow it. I will then begin monthly transfers of funds from my USAA account to the local bank account. Going to be 3 months before I get my ACR card, if I recall correctly.

I have been told by several people that I am able to finance if I have my ACR card, proof of monthly direct deposits, local bank account, local rental agreement, and enough time remaining on my passport.

I know I can just wait a few weeks until I'm there, and just walk into a bike shop and ask about the financing options. But I would like to get some info before I leave, if possible. I'd appreciate any comments or feedback regarding your experience financing a bike.

Haven't financed a bike here but I've owned 3 in the past. The biggest was a 150. Plenty enough power for the local roads. Good luck to you.:smile: 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Ninpo2dan said:

Honestly... I'd stick to one of the Japanese brand motorcycles, even if it means buying a 125cc or 150cc for your 80k cash price.

For 80k you could buy a nice Honda XRM (just an example).

• Like 2

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Haven't financed a bike here but I've owned 3 in the past. The biggest was a 150. Plenty enough power for the local roads. Good luck to you.:smile: 

I used to own a Ninja 600cc back in 1998/99, and I honestly HATE mopeds/scooters. I have seen a few 200cc, even 150cc sport-style bikes, but I need more power. My gf will be riding on back at times, and I would like to take some long trips. Subic, Clark, Baguio, etc. I know sub-400cc aren't allowed on the expressways, so I'll be taking the long routes. But I think it would be a safer option to get used to riding in Manila traffic and getting used to a bike again. I think the 250cc is just enough power on the long trips, going up hills, etc. but not so much power that I'll get myself in trouble. Not sure how comfortable I'd feel taking a 150cc on EDSA.

I'll be living in Rizal, traveling to QC each weekday to hit the gym after dropping my gf off at the office. EDSA every day to and from.

I do plan to get another Ninja 650 once I can afford it, but those are currently about 385k.

Edited by Ninpo2dan

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Ninpo2dan said:

Not sure how comfortable I'd feel taking a 150cc on EDSA.

You will have twice the power you need on that particular road!:laugh:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Ninpo2dan said:

I do plan to get another Ninja 650 once I can afford it, but those are currently about 385k.

I plan on getting a 1300 cc Harley pretty soon. But then I wake up from my dream and realize that it ain't gonna happen. I'm 67 now and probably couldn't hold the dang thing up to even get started on the slowest roads that I have ever seen. Ride on.:Policeman:

• Haha 2

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted

I've been driving my Lexus LX 470 for several years now, just got rid of it a couple months ago in prep for my departure. I'll miss the comfort of that beast, but I won't miss the cost of premium-only fuel. Looking forward to riding a bike again, but I plan to start light. Rode a 1200cc a year or two ago, damn near pissed my pants. Just wasn't used to that much power.

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ninpo2dan said:

I used to own a Ninja 600cc back in 1998/99, and I honestly HATE mopeds/scooters.

I currently own a Yamaha 900 in Australia and I hate auto scooters too.  Auto gearboxes and having your feet sitting on a flat floor just doesn't feel right to me but 'underbones' aren't scooters and they don't feel like scooters because they have footpegs, gears, hand and foot brakes (like a big bike) and some of them even have manual clutches as well (I have a 125cc underbone in the Philippines).  But you want something bigger so...

In the car, an Innova we travel at 80 kilometers per hour on the highway (that's 50 miles per hour) because anything faster than that isn't very safe where as riding my motorbike in Australia I normally travel at 70 miles an hour. But it's the Philippines and I'm not prepared to go that fast due toall of the vehicles and animals that randomly enter your path without warning.  So you don't really need a big powerful bike here.

RUSI hasn't got the best reputation (and that's being polite), if you don't want to spend too much then maybe try a Bajaj.  They're sold through the Kawasaki dealers (not actually a Kawasaki but they warranty and sell them) and they are a definite step up from RUSI (albeit a step down from the Japanese brands).  There is a full faired version and a naked bike version.  Either of them will be faster than most of the traffic on the highways.

https://kawasaki.ph/motorcycles/standard/rouser-200ns/

https://kawasaki.ph/motorcycles/standard/rouser-rs200/#show-content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM35Kw3qazk

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ninpo2dan said:

I'll be living in Rizal, traveling to QC each weekday to hit the gym after dropping my gf off at the office. EDSA every day to and from.

Off topic, but I am also  going to move to Rizal later this year. Where will you be staying?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So the topic is about expats financing a motorcycle in the Philippines.  I have tried.  I know many others who have tried.  The only ones I know who succeeded had a Filipino co-signer, someone not your gf or wife.  This is not as hard as it sounds.  Loads of Filipinos will co-sign for you.  Most of them expect a couple thousand pesos for doing you the favor but some do it for free.

There seems to be an attitude of . . You are a foreigner but you cannot afford 50 to 80K pesos?  Why?

• Like 4