Pronounce Enamel paint

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

I posted this quite some time ago, but maybe some of you have not read the post.  This is a conversation with my nephew who was five years old at the time and just learning english.   I am in the bedroom, Ibo knocks and come into the room:

Ibo: "Tie shoe?"

Me:  I look and he is barefoot.  "Say again Ibo"

Ibo "Tie shoe?"

Me: "Daddy only knows english Ibo."

Ibo goes across the room, grabs a tissue and blows his nose.  Holds it up and says "tie shoe"

Me: "That is pronounced tissue.  Can you say tissue?"

Ibo nods his head yes, but doesn't say anything.

Me: "Say tissue for Daddy"

Ibo:  "Tie shoe, bye bye" and out the door he goes. :hystery:

Edited by Mike J
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L had two interesting encounters with some kids at her school.

One of them, instead of saying happiness, would always say happy penis... hmmm...

The other could not say frog, but would instead call it a f**k....hmmm again...

And with both kids, she repeated the correct pronunciations with them multiple times, to no avail. But she had good laughs about them!

• Haha 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

The first stunning damsel I met when I came to the PI, I treated to a meal. She was appreciative and pleasant and kept saying. "mitre/miter" as she coquette-ishly hugged my arm.

Her English seemed quite fine but I was puzzled to her bizarre, occasional references to either a miter cut/saw/box or a bishop's hat.

I eventually figured ii out from context and pedantically pointed out her error to correct her.... like an ass. No harm to her spirit since she did not take offense at my boorish comments and continued to lavish her smile and kindness upon me in the best of Filipina tradition.

Can you guess what what she was trying to say?

[ As an aside:  While watching the 1940 Basil Rathbone flic, "Sherlock Holmes Goes to Washington" last night, a Brit actor kept saying, (koh-in- 'SII' -dins). That one twisted my ear a bit, but at least I still understood what he was saying. ]

When you come to the PI be prepared for unusual English. As Doctor Watson might say,....."Rather charming, wot ! "

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Sorry... maybe I am too thick or dumb to figure it out...

But I can speak Canadian, American, Brit (some of it), Kiwi and 'Strine. does that count?

• Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Meter?

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Mister?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

As Doctor Watson might say,....."Rather charming, wot ! "

Only in poorly made 1950s American movies! 

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

When the mother in law finished cleaning my bedroom in the morning so I could go lay down on the bed and read the newspaper. I said finished? She thought I said Penis?

• Haha 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

You're most likely correct, since Universal Pictures probably often used American script writers for the screenplay dialogue. 

That said, this 1942 film story and the screenplay itself was written by Bertram Millhauser and Lynn Riggs. Maybe they were British, maybe not.  Bertram is not a  very common American first name, so who knows.

Both Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce were highly acclaimed British actors, who served in the British Army during WW I. Their biographies are quite interesting. Rathbone was a two time British Army Fencing Champ.

So pal. Ya mean ta say that 'Old bean' , 'tut-tut' and the like aren't old British vernacular. Gee whiz, what a let down. I guess I'll stuff a sock back in my yapper now.      :rain_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

As Doctor Watson might say,....."Rather charming, wot ! "

11 hours ago, hk blues said:

I say chaps, mustn't upset the old apple cart, so shake hands, there's a good fellows and we all can be friends.

Tally Ho chaps.......:tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Haha 3