Moving from Thailand

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, adrian canuck said:

Planning a move from Thailand.

Only been to PI a few times, so unsure where to hang my hat.

Non smoker, non drinker, but enjoy the company of the ladies.

Heard Cebu and Subic  areas have decent accomodation.

But rental websites I find hard to get a decent grip on what's available.

Guess a recon trip would be best.

Any ideas not mentioned above ? Only thing I would really like is decent WIFI. Will have a bike so out from the city centre not a problem

Extended visit is the common answer.

I've found Filipino real-estate and home rental websites expensive and unhelpful. You perfer to rent a house, apartment or condo? Would you bring a lot of household goods from Thailand? Perhaps start Subic area?

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, adrian canuck said:

Planning a move from Thailand.

Only been to PI a few times, so unsure where to hang my hat.

Non smoker, non drinker, but enjoy the company of the ladies.

Heard Cebu and Subic  areas have decent accomodation.

But rental websites I find hard to get a decent grip on what's available.

Guess a recon trip would be best.

Any ideas not mentioned above ? Only thing I would really like is decent WIFI. Will have a bike so out from the city centre not a problem

At hte risk of being rude - did you read the thread at all. I answered all your questions just above your post. You may want to go back and read the entire thread then post specific questions that I/we can help you with.

adrian canuck
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Old55 said:

Extended visit is the common answer.

I've found Filipino real-estate and home rental websites expensive and unhelpful. You perfer to rent a house, apartment or condo? Would you bring a lot of household goods from Thailand? Perhaps start Subic area?

Thanks for the reply.

In reading this thread have found only a few suggestions.

Prefer to rent a condo on a high floor.

Very little in the way of household goods as liquidating as we speak and will replace once on the ground and established in PI.

Subic will most likely be my first stop, but as I do not know the islands well was hoping to hear from others in less well known areas I have never heard of.

Research ongoing, but nothing compares to first hand boots-on-the-ground knowledge

adrian canuck
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, AusExpat said:

At hte risk of being rude - did you read the thread at all. I answered all your questions just above your post. You may want to go back and read the entire thread then post specific questions that I/we can help you with.

I read the thread in its entirety.

But not many places mentioned, and the PI is a big place.

Hoping for more results

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, adrian canuck said:

I read the thread in its entirety.

But not many places mentioned, and the PI is a big place.

Hoping for more results

As you said it's a big place, 7000 islands or something ridiculous - if you give more input you will likely get better answers. Like another fellow was comign from Chiang Mia and looking for something similar, that makes it easier to suggest what might be worth looking into for him. Coming from BKK try Manila or from Pattaya, just go to Angeles or Subic - though you will find both very quite in comparisson.

What are your interests, what are your needs, where are you moving from?

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree AusExpat. A little more information of what you are looking for Adrien would get useful responses. Folks here are willing to share.

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, adrian canuck said:

Thanks for the reply.

In reading this thread have found only a few suggestions.

Prefer to rent a condo on a high floor.

Very little in the way of household goods as liquidating as we speak and will replace once on the ground and established in PI.

Subic will most likely be my first stop, but as I do not know the islands well was hoping to hear from others in less well known areas I have never heard of.

Research ongoing, but nothing compares to first hand boots-on-the-ground knowledge

I can speak for Subic since I live here on the freeport, you won't find a high rise condo around here, they may be building some but I'm not aware of any, you might be able to find a condo (non-high rise) up in cubi point on the freeport that has a view of the bay since it's up high, it would probably be expensive, the rents in the freeport are very high, I guess due to the security and it being very quiet , no roosters, dogs, tricycles, loud karaoke. Out in barrio baretto rents are a lot cheaper, if you stay in a hotel in barrio when you get here ask around, we stayed in the palm tree resort for about a week, I don't necessarily recommend it but it was cheap and the only thing available on short notice but the owner is a British guy and his wife that have been out there since 1987, the bar and restaurant upstairs looks like the inside of an old ship, anyway he and his wife were really helpful and they knew a lot of people that had rentals in the area, so ask around.

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

adrian canuck
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, AusExpat said:

As you said it's a big place, 7000 islands or something ridiculous - if you give more input you will likely get better answers. Like another fellow was comign from Chiang Mia and looking for something similar, that makes it easier to suggest what might be worth looking into for him. Coming from BKK try Manila or from Pattaya, just go to Angeles or Subic - though you will find both very quite in comparisson.

What are your interests, what are your needs, where are you moving from?

Living in a village outside Chiang Mai.

Ride one of my bikes every day, and once established in PI will purchase a car, so out of the central area not a problem. Like to just get on and ride, see the area, multi day trips not a problem.

Decent internet appreciated, and as said above, still enjoy the company of the ladies.

Non smoker, non drinker.

Had a large garden in Thailand, so don't mind that, but hard to do in a condo.

From searching this - and other - PI forums it seems from other posters that if you want decent internet, live in Metro wherever. If you want a more  quiet, laid back existence you might have to put up with not so good speeds.

Would rent a house, but concerns about the security issue while away from home seems to dictate a condo until I know an area - and the people - well.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, adrian canuck said:

Living in a village outside Chiang Mai.

Ride one of my bikes every day, and once established in PI will purchase a car, so out of the central area not a problem. Like to just get on and ride, see the area, multi day trips not a problem.

Decent internet appreciated, and as said above, still enjoy the company of the ladies.

Non smoker, non drinker.

Had a large garden in Thailand, so don't mind that, but hard to do in a condo.

From searching this - and other - PI forums it seems from other posters that if you want decent internet, live in Metro wherever. If you want a more  quiet, laid back existence you might have to put up with not so good speeds.

Would rent a house, but concerns about the security issue while away from home seems to dictate a condo until I know an area - and the people - well.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Dumaguete where lots of Expats live. I dont think there are condos but apartments. Mid size city. Ladies anywhere in the Philippines so that dont matter.

• Haha 2

adrian canuck
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I'm surprised no one has suggested Dumaguete where lots of Expats live. I dont think there are condos but apartments. Mid size city. Ladies anywhere in the Philippines so that dont matter.

Thanks for that. Looks beautiful, lots to see and do, 131K population, hub of Telecom

Seems to have everything. Will put it on my list.