New Visa

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We just got our quarantine passes for the Subic Bay Freeport.  One per household but any qualified household member can use it to go out for necessities.

One of the qualifications listed in the FAQ was the user must be between 18 and 59 years old.  This immediately raised an outcry from the residents, as we have many like you and also many older retired couples.  And many people here don't have their hired help available.

I did some research.  Nowhere in the National Guidelines for the quarantines is there an age restriction.  So, this is an example of an LGU over stepping their authority and creating local rules more strict than the national rules.  The president just spoke out against this a few days ago.  National guidelines must not be exceeded by LGUs.

Find out who controls your local rules and if there is someone you can ask for help with this.  Here we have a local neighborhood group to take these issues to.

In our case, they already backed off.  60 and over are allowed to use the pass.  They changed the wording to "over 59 are allowed to use it but strongly discouraged from doing so."

Speaking of the current regional variances in age-limited activity......

My wife left to pay bills and shop today. The normal 3 hr. trip took 5 hours. First stop was at the nearby barangay hall to pick up a single trip use travel pass. Only adults, no children. She, along with our trike driver and his wife (regular helper and shopping trip helper) went in. Very long, social distance lines with spaced waiting chairs outside and limited number of entrants at one times. At our Robinson's only the side entrance of the grocery store, with its in-store pharmacy was open. 10 customers were allowed in at a time as a group unit, and everyone else waited outside the store entrance until all 10 came out. Then another 10 were allowed to enter. NOT 1 out, 1 in. 

Since the ate helper and her husband (our family service trike driver) are both over 59, they are NOT allowed entry. They will have to have ate's 53 year old sister do their shopping they were told.

At the Gaisano mall both the Jolli Bee and Mag Inasol were closed today, but not three days ago. The G mall was open and my wife picked up some take-out. Dine-in not allowed. Unlimited entry into that mall  but most everything was closed. Pharmacies and grocery open. Water stations are open.  Some restos are still open along the the beach front, but limited to 10am -3pm.  I don't know the details re dine in or only take-out and regulations.

Ate usually gets my beer, 2 Kings at a time at the closest sari-sari for the new price of P95@,  but today she found another barangay store that sold her a case of 6 for P75@, so at least something got a tiny bit better. I am obviously staying home and on my computer most of the day, but now since our co-madre's 4 year old can't go home in the adjoining province, I have to share my computer time with her and allow her some pre-K you tube vids..... she uses the mouse to delete pop-up banners, ads, expand the screen to max, and scroll wheels the side bar vids..... and I never showed her.... she must have picked it up from watching the other adult females using their phones and tablets. I am amazed at her speed and deftness.... she is a very tiny creature.

Things could be a lot worse, and we are all still healthy, so I am not complaining one whit.  

• Like 3

peterfe
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

There are certain things you just have to do in person, visa, money, medicine, doctor's

It will be interesting to see how this develops and what people's experiences are. Many people (over and under 65) will have to leave their barangay to renew their visa. For me, that won't be until August, so I'm not worried about that yet. I believe you're allowed to leave if you're going to a doctor or hospital. Money is the main thing - the only ATM in my town (Carmen, Cebu Province) doesn't work with my cards. So at some stage I'll have to consider driving very early (before they set up the checkpoints?) to Danao to take out money from an ATM. If I wear a mask I don't look over 65, but I am, and of course you have to carry an ID. Fortunately there is an alternative - MLHuillier - which seems to be everywhere, even in quite small towns, and you can open an account online with WorldRemit or similar and pick up money there.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

There are certain things you just have to do in person, visa, money, medicine, doctor's

I never do my visa renewals myself so no thats not correct but of course I pay for the service. Money well that depends on many things I guess. 

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I never do my visa renewals myself so no thats not correct but of course I pay for the service. Money well that depends on many things I guess. 

What a great idea, thanks for that, next time I need a visa I will get an agent to do , do they come to your residence and pick your passport up and return to you.

Edited by frosty (chris)
spelling

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

What a great idea, thanks for that, next time I need a visa I will get an agent to do , do they come to your residence and pick your passport up and return to you.

I used an agent for several years with tourist visa... so easy and only maybe 250 pesos each go? No time for me at BI, no waiting, no lines, no BS...

But I did have to go to their office - which is about 50 meters away from the BI. No home service...at least here in Davao...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Yes, it's a good idea if it works in these lockdown days. I suppose if you're over 65 you can ask your partner or someone reliable to take your passport to a local courier who will send it to the agent. If you're over 65 and live by yourself it might be more difficult... But I and many others would prefer to keep their passport at all times, so it would be interesting to know if anybody has tried to get through the checkpoints (in my case from Carmen to Lapu Lapu or Mandaue) explaining that their visa business is very important. I'm sure if you wanted to go to Mactan airport and showed them a ticket, they'd let you through.

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)

Visa renewals waived while coronavirus calamity ongoing, nationwide.  

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2020_Yr/03_Mar/2020Mar20_Press.pdf

Second to the last paragraph

Edited by Hobbit112
spelling
  • Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the 

20 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Visa renewals waved while coronavirus calamity ongoing, nationwide.  

Thanks for the clarifying link, Peter.  I'm relieved that they're not just 'waving' them at you through a  plexi-glass barrier and informing you, "Sorry. Not allowed to issue it to you.... we are only allowed to wave you." Ha-ha.    Homonyms and homophones usually get lost in translation here.... that's the joke.  Don't forget the 'i' next time, or the spelling Gestapo will be 'wrapping' at 'yore' 'doer'. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Visa renewals waived while coronavirus calamity ongoing, nationwide.  

Is it nationwide - the title says Luzon?