Nine doctors die from coronavirus in Philippines

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

but we have to rely on newspaper stories and social media for our info so how reliable is that. 

Well I can say with certainty knowing a great number of people on the front line, yes the UK Government has been a little slow!

They are speeding up  delivery of PPE now and it would seem that some equipment which was tested was below par; least that was said in the latest bulletin at 17;00 GMT today.

The good news being Universities and Institutions are busy finding ways to produce fast testing kits, to be rolled out.

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted

There are doctors and nurses getting infected with COVID-19 all over the world, and many have already died.

The global shortages of PPE for medical professionals is very close to being as bad as the actual pandemic. JMHO

I foresee many legal actions that will be taken in the very near future.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack D said:

There are doctors and nurses getting infected with COVID-19 all over the world, and many have already died.

The global shortages of PPE for medical professionals is very close to being as bad as the actual pandemic. JMHO

I foresee many legal actions that will be taken in the very near future.

I try to be pragmatic about it - nobody could have predicted how much PPE was going to be needed before this virus struck and most would have been up in arms if respective health authorities had been spending huge amounts of money on supplies that may not have any future use.  It's both an excuse and a reason.  

The problem is that we have had a good few weeks/months to put things in place but everyone (UK and USA?)  seems to have been caught on the hop.  That said, perhaps many suppliers are in China and they may have been prioritising their domestic market.  

Government agencies have never been known for their efficiency.  

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That said, perhaps many suppliers are in China and they may have been prioritising their domestic market.  

Not only that but overseas Chinese have been actively purchasing large amounts of PPE since shortly after the virus situation in Wuhan became obvious.

It has happened in Australia and I've read in the USA as well and it's taken until just the last couple of days for the Australian government to move to stop the exports.

We're not talking small amounts of product either...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

On a brighter note 

The uk government has managed to build a new hospital in 9 days that can take up to 4000 intensive care beds

The docklands exibition center is now known as the nightingale field hospitals 

There are plans to convert another 5 or 6 buildings 

My employers gave me a new van yesterday, to stop me getting held up by the cops IMG-20200401-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have been checking confirmed infection numbers in the Philippines for two weeks and Australia for several weeks.

The trajectory of the increase of confirmed cases in the Philippines appears to be steep, that is to say the doubling of numbers is happening over a fairly short time.

When I started looking at the Philippine numbers they had around 500 confirmed cases and now they've got around 3000 cases (6 times increase).

In comparison Australia during the same period has gone from  around 2000 cases to 5000 cases (2.5 times increase).

I realize Australia has a 1st world health system but that's not my point, I just wanted to point out that if the rate of doubling is maintained in the Philippines then in a couple of months time there will be millions of cases.  I can only hope the lockdown there is effective.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I have been checking confirmed infection numbers in the Philippines for two weeks and Australia for several weeks.

The trajectory of the increase of confirmed cases in the Philippines appears to be steep, that is to say the doubling of numbers is happening over a fairly short time.

When I started looking at the Philippine numbers they had around 500 confirmed cases and now they've got around 3000 cases (6 times increase).

In comparison Australia during the same period has gone from  around 2000 cases to 5000 cases (2.5 times increase).

I realize Australia has a 1st world health system but that's not my point, I just wanted to point out that if the rate of doubling is maintained in the Philippines then in a couple of months time there will be millions of cases.  I can only hope the lockdown there is effective.

Indeed worrying numbers.

I am actually quite impressed with how the lockdowns  been implemented here. Absolutely, they are a huge inconvenience but isn't that evidence of effectiveness? 

My concern is that those with the econony in mind will be pushing hard for a relaxation of the rules in a few days - I'd prefer  to keep doing what works for a bit longer.

• Like 2

Sir.Albarado
Posted
Posted

Rest in Peace to our fallen heroes.  We need to be re united and we win this fight!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here are the latest numbers for health care workers.  Definitely takes courage to keep going into harm's way.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/4/8/doctors-nurses-with-coronavirus.html

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 8) — Over 200 doctors and nurses in the country have contracted the coronavirus disease, the Department of Health confirmed on Wednesday.

The agency said 252 health workers have tested positive for the deadly disease as shown in its latest data. Of this number, 152 or 65 percent are doctors, while 63 or 25 percent are nurses.

Twelve healthcare workers also succumbed to COVID-19, DOH said.

The department did not name other professions in the health sector that were included in the count.

This is the first time the DOH released data on the number of infected health workers. The agency recently included medical personnel with COVID-19 symptoms in the list of high-risk people who should get tested.

Earlier, the Philippine Medical Association gave a different number, saying 17 doctors died from COVID-19. The group said these deaths could have been prevented had there been enough protective gear.

Health officials have since procured one million sets of personal protective equipment to be distributed to different hospitals. These sets, containing N95 masks, surgical gowns, gloves, head cover and foot covers, will come in batches until April 24.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sir.Albarado
Posted
Posted

Hello Guys, any latest update of the how many deaths of our doctors and nurses here in Ph. Thank you

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic