Is Government Assistance On the Way Now ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/03/31/2004508/duterte-unveils-p200-billion-aid-low-income-families-affected-quarantine

When I read  this just now, I happily told my wife.... and told her to expect it on the radio and TV.

I was surprised by her skeptical and pessimistic response.... as she cited what happened after Yolanda and Ursula.

I really hope the people who need it, get it.

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I really hope the people who need it, get it.

The story does not say how it will be distributed.  Easy to make a big announcement but details are scarce. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Maybe Mrs Marcos can stump up some cash. 

I see Mr.Pacquiao is helping out (as always) . A good man. 

82316888_10156998736463553_7107053960044740608_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

His knowledge of the political system here matches most of his peers that are currently serving in the government.

exceeds

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The story does not say how it will be distributed

there in lies the rub. 

LGU's want the money. Central Government does not trust the LGU's with a large amount of cash. (a cabinet member said so in so many words on cnn Philippines this morning)

Unlike the states the poor are not set up on direct deposit with the BIR so direct deposit is out. With so many informal settlers who are either not registered or under counted they don't know how to keep folks from going to LGU to LGU and double dipping. 

If they just buy 200 billion worth of food, how does it get distributed with out huge crowds or food riots.

But the bottom line is they are afraid of the LGU's pocketing the money

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, scott h said:

there in lies the rub. 

LGU's want the money. Central Government does not trust the LGU's with a large amount of cash. (a cabinet member said so in so many words on cnn Philippines this morning)

Unlike the states the poor are not set up on direct deposit with the BIR so direct deposit is out. With so many informal settlers who are either not registered or under counted they don't know how to keep folks from going to LGU to LGU and double dipping. 

If they just buy 200 billion worth of food, how does it get distributed with out huge crowds or food riots.

But the bottom line is they are afraid of the LGU's pocketing the money

Well maybe the people in charge of the money should send someone from their department to oversee distribution in each area. Yes I know its not ideal.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I know its not ideal.

Uncontrollable IMHO.

Scenario. Big wig from Manila goes to each city with a boat load of cash. He must have a "trusted" assistant to monitor each barangay in each. Hands over the cash. Mayor hands it to the Barangay captain. Captain along with Manila and city monitor go to Barangay. Then what? Set up tables and hand out cash to head of family? Whos to say who is a resident and who is not. How many families live in each house. How many per family? 

Oh and wiki says there are over 42,000 barangays in the country

Just now on the news they said 5k to 8k pesos will be given to each family upon "verification" of head of the family. But they did not say how verification would be done. 

This is gonna be a mess :hystery: 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Luxury SUV sales will soon increase. :photo-109:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The wife was able to go out yesterday to distribute rice, milk, and a few treats to needy families in our area.  They were very appreciative and said they had not yet seen any other assistance from government at any level.  I expect it is going to take some time and coordination in view the scope of the needs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic