Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

D92800A1-BEA6-4EE3-8B73-963F2608661E.jpeg

• Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

0-02-01-eb7ed8decaea10e3754deb31761e5d69c30c1fabc8d1ef886ff0169638c154e9_1c6d9cf01a3152.jpg

This is the kind of stuff you just can't make up and wonder how some people function in life.

• Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It's certainly far from ideal but it would still somewhat reduce the risk of spreading the virus because the lower the density of people the smaller the number of people exposed.  It's the same logic used on buses and trains and taxis where a 1.5 meter distance isn't practicable so the seats are alternated (or in the case of taxis the seat in the rear opposite to the driver is preferred.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Another benefit of social distancing is the additional fart space.   Or so I have heard. :whistling:

• Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Sir.Albarado said:

Question? some government implement must be 1 meter apart, some 2 meters and while other countries must be 7 meters. 

Simple, goes on the size of the country X the population X the height of the people. Quite simple, it's all arithmetic's. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It's certainly far from ideal but it would still somewhat reduce the risk of spreading the virus because the lower the density of people the smaller the number of people exposed.  It's the same logic used on buses and trains and taxis where a 1.5 meter distance isn't practicable so the seats are alternated (or in the case of taxis the seat in the rear opposite to the driver is preferred.  

Here is another bit of information regarding distance this bug can fly:

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/coronavirus-found-in-air-samples-up-to-13-feet-from-patients/ar-BB12uJym?li=BBr8Mkn

>A new study examining air samples from hospital wards with COVID-19 patients has found the virus can travel up to 13 feet (four meters) -- twice the distance current guidelines say people should leave between themselves in public.

The preliminary results of the investigation by Chinese researchers were published Friday in Emerging Infectious Diseases, a journal of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

They add to a growing debate on how the disease is transmitted, with the scientists themselves cautioning that the small quantities of virus they found at this distance are not necessarily infectious.

The researchers, led by a team at the Academy of Military Medical Sciences in Beijing, tested surface and air samples from an intensive care unit and a general COVID-19 ward at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan. They housed a total of 24 patients between February 19 and March 2.

They found that the virus was most heavily concentrated on the floors of the wards, "perhaps because of gravity and air flow causing most virus droplets to float to the ground."

High levels were also found on frequently touched surfaces like computer mice, trashcans, bed rails and door knobs.

"Furthermore, half of the samples from the soles of the ICU medical staff shoes tested positive," the team wrote. "Therefore, the soles of medical staff shoes might function as carriers."

- Airborne threat? -

The team also looked at so-called aerosol transmission -- when the droplets of the virus are so fine they become suspended and remain airborne for several hours, unlike cough or sneeze droplets that fall to the ground within seconds.

They found that virus-laden aerosols were mainly concentrated near and downstream from patients at up to 13 feet -- though smaller quantities were found upstream, up to eight feet.

Encouragingly, no members of the hospital staff were infected, "indicating that appropriate precautions could effectively prevent infection," the authors wrote.

They also offered advice that bucks orthodox guidelines: "Our findings suggest that home isolation of persons with suspected COVID-19 might not be a good control strategy" given the levels of environmental contamination.

Aerosolization of the coronavirus is a contentious area for scientists who study it, because it is not clear how infectious the disease is in the tiny quantities found in ultrafine mist.

The World Health Organization has so far downplayed the risk.

US health authorities have adopted a more cautious line and urged people to cover their faces when out in public in case the virus can be transmitted through normal breathing and speaking.<

Personally, of course I believe there is going to be an ongoing litany of "facts" and "counter-facts." Nothing is absolute as this situation continues to develop. My feeling is to be extra cautious until more is learned - and that will take time. So do we take the chance and open everything up to improve the economies and risk a total pandemic relapse? Or do we try to beat the virus to death right away? There are lots of differing opinions. Mine is to keep far away from everyone and to continue to isolate for as long as it takes.

Off topic aside here: I also read this morning that treatment in private hospitals in Manila for the virus can range up to over P1 mln. I really can't afford that right now so self isolation is our strategy.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

1 million peso... I suspect that there are many expats that could not afford that!

And does that include ventilation in an ICU or  high level oxygen support support in an ICU or just basic oxygen support in a normal hospital room?

And that's Manila where anecdotely the best hospitals are with the best trained staff, who knows what the situation is elsewhere.

I would be doing what you're doing Tommy and staying self isolated (in fact I am even though I'm in Aussie right now).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

And does that include ventilation in an ICU or  high level oxygen support support in an ICU or just basic oxygen support in a normal hospital room?

The article I referenced is gone from the website. But my (often faulty) remembrance is that the higher end included intensive care, ventilator, all the bells and whistles.

A few numbers I vaguely remember:

Room cost - ~P5,000+/day

Meds ~ P300+K - this was apparently the highest component and included fentanyle tablets(!) and various intravenous meds.

Unfortunately, those are the only two I remember. But the range was lowest at about P40-50k for mild case hospitalization and up over P1.3 mln for very serious or critical case.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Ahhh that makes more sense, 8 to 10 days for a basic hospital room up to lots more for ICU treatment, thanks.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic