Renovation of our house in CDO

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The first coat of paint on the roof is finished, a second coat will be done but it's already looking a lot better than it did.

Looks very nice already, Geoff!

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Some of the panels under the eaves and in the carport were weathered so we decided to remove and replace them with new panels in some parts (and repair/repaint where they're in better condition).    Also I think looking at that wiring that I need to get an electician in as well, it hasn't given us trouble but I'm thinking it's been done the 'Philippines' way.  We bought this house already built and it wasn't new so we knew at some point we'd have to do some repairs/renovations.

Panel repair 1.JPG

Panel repair 2.JPG

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Good idea to check out and/or update wiring while exposed.  Were the panels plywood?  When we build they installed fiber cement board.  Once painted you cannot tell it from wood.   Also when you painted the roof I was wondering how old it was so I could maybe plan when I will have to paint mine.  About 3 years now had still has a shine but I was hoping maybe 10 years.:89:

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Good idea to check out and/or update wiring while exposed.  Were the panels plywood?  When we build they installed fiber cement board.  Once painted you cannot tell it from wood.   Also when you painted the roof I was wondering how old it was so I could maybe plan when I will have to paint mine.  About 3 years now had still has a shine but I was hoping maybe 10 years.:89:

The panels were/are plywood, even the worst ones could have been salvaged but it wasn't much extra to replace them.  There was an issue with water from the balcony (since fixed) during heavy rain that caused those particular ones to weather earlier.

10 years is just about spot on for the age of the house but we've only only it for a bit over 2 years (we bought it second hand), at the time building just seemed a tad... complicated and I don't regret that choice even with the renovations expenses we knew we'd have.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, GeoffH said:

10 years is just about spot on for the age of the house but we've only only it for a bit over 2 years (we bought it second hand), at the time building just seemed a tad... complicated and I don't regret that choice even with the renovations expenses we knew we'd have.

Our roof was built 2008, the shine has gone and faded, too big a job to repaint, it's about 200 sqm and three floors high. No harm will be done if left, as it's galvanised steel. 

Only the decorative aspect will make it look good, No one can see it properly anyway, apart from birds and drones.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, jimeve said:

Our roof was built 2008, the shine has gone and faded, too big a job to repaint, it's about 200 sqm and three floors high. No harm will be done if left, as it's galvanised steel. 

Only the decorative aspect will make it look good, No one can see it properly anyway, apart from birds and drones.

And repainting never lasts like the original finish.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike J said:

True

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mike J said:

No I don't expect it to last as long as the original finish but what can ya do *shrug*, it's either paint it every 5 years or ignore it.

They've started putting the replacement panels in but SWMBO says the electrician hasn't arrived yet :unsure:

I

Panel repair 3.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

The started stripping out the master bedroom CR  today,  the intention is to strip it back to a bare room and build a new bathroom in the layout we want.  Currently there is a big bath which neither of us use wasting space and we're chasing more storage space and a bigger shower with a heater.  Apologies for the lack on an inside shot but not much space with 3 guys in there.

Bathroom demo.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The started stripping out the master bedroom CR  today,  the intention is to strip it back to a bare room and build a new bathroom in the layout we want.

Will they have it done prior to your return ?  A master bath is one of the requirements for me.   Just like a den/office area, I like a private space to do my other planing and paperwork!  :hystery:

• Haha 1