French Toast

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I find it interesting that in the US we have "french bread" and here in the Philippines it is called "France's bread".   Or maybe that is just here in Moalboal?

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I find it interesting that in the US we have "french bread" and here in the Philippines it is called "France's bread".   Or maybe that is just here in Moalboal?

I have heard SWMBO say that also so not just Moaboal.

*edit*  I just had a thought... SWMBO has many family who live south of Cebu, mostly around Oslob which is a bit south of Moaboal... so maybe it is a term from that area?

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

I haven't had French Toast in over a year but this morning my girl decided to make it - then  I opened the recipes section and saw this I must say you've made ours look like the paupers version - just french toast with pepper and coffee.

Thanks, now I've shown my girl what it SHOULD look like :)

french-toast.png

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

I haven't had French Toast in over a year but this morning my girl decided to make it - then  I opened the recipes section and saw this I must say you've made ours look like the paupers version - just french toast with pepper and coffee.

Hey... Aus... Please don't say that. In my book, ANY version of French Toast is a winner!!! Yours looks good to me! And it looks like it was cooked perfectly!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

ANY version of French Toast is a winner!!!

Quite Tom but ye Gods, so much Cholesterol  :huh:

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Quite Tom but ye Gods, so much Cholesterol  :huh:

I thought the experts agreed that the occasional egg was fine? :89:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I thought the experts agreed that the occasional egg was fine? :89:

Eggs yes... margarine/butter/fat for frying the toast... not so much.

And I'm pretty certain they said "poached or boiled' eggs were ok :whistling:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Eggs yes... margarine/butter/fat for frying the toast... not so much.

And I'm pretty certain they said "poached or boiled' eggs were ok :whistling:

Hey... If I may die starving for air from this virus, then I would prefer it happen on a full stomach! Damn the cholesterol, full speed ahead!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted

Last I read in TIME magazine is they got it all wrong and the natural fats, ie egg yolks and butter were fine and the problem is in fact the margarine (trans fats) they told us to eat instead.

Well now a quick search came up with a lot of results these are a couple of relevant ones

https://time.com/3705734/cholesterol-dietary-guidelines/  (cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern)

“There have been multiple analyses and meta-analyses now looking at intake of dietary cholesterol and the risk of heart disease,” says Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of the School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University. “In the general population, there’s really not any strong evidence for a link.” However, a few studies have shown that there may be increased risk in people with type-2 diabetes, he says.

Dietary cholesterol isn’t solidly linked to cholesterol levels in the blood, says Dr. David Katz, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. “There’s virtually no association,” Katz says; much more profound are the impacts of saturated and trans fats. Several of his own lab’s studies have shown that eggs don’t adversely affect blood cholesterol.

https://time.com/magazine/us/2863200/june-23rd-2014-vol-183-no-24-u-s/ (Time magazine cover story - ending the war on fat - a lengthy and indepth article on the vilification of fats)

https://time.com/4669635/worst-foods-for-heart/ (Hint it's processed meat products and sugar)

https://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/ (consuming butter is not linked to heart disease)

The simplistic idea that eaten cholesterol bypasses your entire digestive tract to clog your arteries is rather medieval in thinking. It turns out cholesterol is important in hormone formation and a ton of other health related features in hte body so eating a low fat, low cholesterol diet ends up harming us in many ways.

So in short enjoy your French toast it's way healthier than breakfast cereals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1