Got punted from Facebook because cv19

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I got a ban on fb for using another term for Gypsies (pikies) Never knew it was condescending!

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I find it hard to believe that you got booted for that.  You sure there was not something else?

No, unfortunately that was the issue. Used the wrong set of words combined in one message. kind of like saying " Hi jack" in the airport. Fine greeting but not in a airport....lol. a former beer drinking buddy of mine who works for the social network fixed it for me.so now im  sticking to pics of what's for lunch.......lol

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I got a ban on fb for using another term for Gypsies (pikies) Never knew it was condescending!

Off topic I know but I have a younger UK friend who calls himself a pikie. I also got told off for saying Paki's in the UK a few years ago, I was surprised from my understanding it was all they could fit on the old cricket boards back before electronic boards, Pakistan was too long. I don't think WIndies is derogatory either.

Back when I had a blog with google adsense I was temporarily paused with threats to definance the site due to posting "racist content" all I posted was a photo of a billboard on Sukhumvit in Bangkok that was clearly sexual and commented how appropriate considering it was at the entrance to a famous red light district (and it was). I had to remove the 'offending' post no ifs no buts.

Back to topic - so censorship from a US company that is already in legal trouble for censorship? Google/Youtube has also said they'd be censoring anything that doesn't follow the WHO guidelines on the virus topic too. They are both asking for trouble from the US regulators.

So much for the wild and free Internet of the 90's.

Edited by AusExpat

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AusExpat said:

I also got told off for saying Paki's in the UK a few years ago,

Nowadays, you'd be arrested for that! 

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Sadly, the old UK sank below the surface and drowned in the overwhelming bullshit of political correctness and minority rule, quite a few years ago. 

Our Pakistani friend can call me whatever the hell he likes, without fear of punishment.  

One reason I don't live there anymore.  

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AusExpat said:

Back to topic - so censorship from a US company that is already in legal trouble for censorship? Google/Youtube has also said they'd be censoring anything that doesn't follow the WHO guidelines on the virus topic too. They are both asking for trouble from the US regulators.

YouTube was marking all covid related videos 'not appropriate' for ads, at first. They quickly got a self certification system online.  Works great so far. There is a series of questions we answer about each vid, when we upload it. The have people spot verify them. There are guidelines for what is and is not allowed.  Pretty easy to follow.  YT is way more transparent than Facebook.  The rules on FB are vague at best, and never implemented the same from one account to another.  I use FB just to keep in touch with US friends & relatives. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I find it hard to believe that you got booted for that.  You sure there was not something else?

The OP tried to trivialize the corona virus flu by saying it was not even as bad a regular flu in terms of deaths.  About the only truth in his comparison is that they are both called "flu".  Regular flu did kill 80,000 in 2018 people in the USA, an exceptionaly high count by the way.    Why lockdown corona? 

Two reasons:

1.  No protection - There is no vaccine and no herd immunity because this virus in new.

2.  High mortality rate - normal flu the mortality rate is .1 percent, corona is 3.4% .  For those of us that are "math challenged", that means if you get this flu you are 34 times more likely to die than from the regular flu.

Almost 50,000 people in the US have died of this virus in just a few weeks and that is with a lockdown.  Try to imagine what the results would have been with no social distancing, no quarantines, etc.  Most health experts have already expressed regret that the USA was too little and too late in responding to the outbreak.

People who post BS on Facebook that puts the public in danger should be booted for being irresponsible.  I do not have one iota of sympathy for the OP getting booted.

• Like 5

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The OP tried to trivialize the corona virus flu by saying it was not even as bad a regular flu in terms of deaths.  About the only truth in his comparison is that they are both called "flu".  Regular flu did kill 80,000 in 2018 people in the USA, an exceptionaly high count by the way.    Why lockdown corona? 

Two reasons:

1.  No protection - There is no vaccine and no herd immunity because this virus in new.

2.  High mortality rate - normal flu the mortality rate is .1 percent, corona is 3.4% .  For those of us that are "math challenged", that means if you get this flu you are 34 times more likely to die than from the regular flu.

Almost 50,000 people in the US have died of this virus in just a few weeks and that is with a lockdown.  Try to imagine what the results would have been with no social distancing, no quarantines, etc.  Most health experts have already expressed regret that the USA was too little and too late in responding to the outbreak.

People who post BS on Facebook that puts the public in danger should be booted for being irresponsible.  I do not have one iota of sympathy for the OP getting booted.

As more testing techniques have been developed there is a new study out of Stanford in California says 50-85 times higher infection rates than originally thought so the fatality rate is much lower, in fact the same as the 'flu - 0.12% to 0.2% and that they may have already passed the 'herd immunity' stage in CA.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-20/coronavirus-serology-testing-la-county

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/antibody-study-suggests-coronavirus-is-far-more-widespread-than-previously-thought

The Guardian article was last updated 18th April and the NIH and University of California were conducting more tests so the numbers will become more clear soon.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

As more testing techniques have been developed there is a new study out of Stanford in California says 50-85 times higher infection rates than originally thought so the fatality rate is much lower, in fact the same as the 'flu - 0.12% to 0.2% and that they may have already passed the 'herd immunity' stage in CA.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-20/coronavirus-serology-testing-la-county

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/antibody-study-suggests-coronavirus-is-far-more-widespread-than-previously-thought

The Guardian article was last updated 18th April and the NIH and University of California were conducting more tests so the numbers will become more clear soon.

Thanks for the post.  I hope that turns out to be true.  It would be the first good news since this whole thing started.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic