When will flights to the Philippines resume for the likes of you and me?

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

Maybe we've all become a little spoilt over the years ?

My first flight to SE Asia (Singapore) was in 1955...from London. 

The journey took 3 days, with 2 overnight stops (in hotels), and included 7 stops for refuelling the  75 -seater aircraft, with its 4 (piston) engines.   :biggrin:

Oh... and 21 days for the return journey by sea, 3 years later.  :smile:

I'm jealous. That would have been amazing (Singapore back then, not the trip).

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

Problem is that would entail going to Australia :(

Most of what I've said applies to flights from Manila to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong as those three are the main asian hubs (ok and maybe Brunei) for connecting flights so it doesn't really matter where you're going to or coming from.  Unless you're flying direct of course.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2020 at 5:29 PM, AusExpat said:

I'm jealous. That would have been amazing (Singapore back then, not the trip).

Yes, though I was only a little kid, I can remember very well our life and surrounding there...and the journeys there and back. (My family actually lived in Johor, on the mainland. but us 3 kids attended school in Singapore...on dad's Royal Navy base). 

I don't think there was a single skyscraper in Singapore then. All very pleasant and colonial, but with the poorer folk living in the usual shacks as seen everywhere in SE Asia.  'Changhi' was an RAF base in those days too...not an international airport.  I remember us going there to watch some inter-services sports. 

There was also an abundance of wildlife there.... the 'jungle' coming right up to our house, and there being still a lot of jungle type terrain even in Singapore then.  Still Tigers on the mainland !

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3

PPGfreak
Posted
Posted

If Cebu and Manila are closed until at least May 15th we will have to see what opens then. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Well at least we're getting some indication of when Australians can start  air traveling. Our prime minister told us yesterday, "Maybe towards the end of the year, but we're not working on a date." So seeing Australia is supposed to be the envy of the world in handling this virus, don't hold your breath for an air transportation date from PI.:56da64b24b45d_36_1_501:

Their talking, New Zealand will be the first country where international flights will be allowed to and from and during these threads the question has been hinted at, (will passengers need a health certificate), the way the health mob are talking, yes, certain countries will be singled out and coming from some countries you may be required to isolate for 14 days.:SugarwareZ-005:So all you blokes living in paradise :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:, do as my grandson says, chill out, your host country hasn't run out of money and your pensions will keep coming. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

My 'reading between the lines' suggests that you're timetable is about right.

June/July relaxation of internal border lockdown starts (subject to case numbers).

September/October process starts to open limited travel to New Zealand.

*who the hells knows when* Other internation travel allowed :(

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 3 weeks later...
johnbarley
Posted
Posted
On 4/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, graham59 said:

Yes, though I was only a little kid, I can remember very well our life and surrounding there...and the journeys there and back. (My family actually lived in Johor, on the mainland. but us 3 kids attended school in Singapore...on dad's Royal Navy base). 

I don't think there was a single skyscraper in Singapore then. All very pleasant and colonial, but with the poorer folk living in the usual shacks as seen everywhere in SE Asia.  'Changhi' was an RAF base in those days too...not an international airport.  I remember us going there to watch some inter-services sports. 

There was also an abundance of wildlife there.... the 'jungle' coming right up to our house, and there being still a lot of jungle type terrain even in Singapore then.  Still Tigers on the mainland !

More anecdotes please. Seems like a different world, a lost one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, johnbarley said:

More anecdotes please. Seems like a different world, a lost one.

Well here's the type of aircraft that we flew from London Heathrow to Singapore on (a 'Hermes').... after a 200 mile steam train journey from the north of England :  :smile:

Hermes Pic..jpg

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

I think it will be quite some time before international flights resume.  Philippines airlines was in the process of restarting a route to Perth Australia from March 2020 with discount fares from $600 which was great value, but Corona virus put an end to that!  I think it will be 2021 before we see international flights resuming.  They are only talking about domestic flights now and that will depend on the other states in Australia having very low or zero Corona virus cases

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic