10 Years at sea

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just happened to see this and watch it.  They give a nice tour of the ship and how they live, that I found interesting.  They have a You Tube channel bu I have not watched any other videos.

@Tommy T. you had all this equipment??

• Like 5

AusExpat
Posted
Posted

I had a friend quit his corporate job a couple years ago and buy a boat like this, not as nice, but pretty good. Turns out it wasn't as cheap as he expected to live on it, though compared tothe corporate life he was very happy with it. Spent 3 months in the Mediterrainian on his first trip.

On a similar topic, in Malaysia one time I met the couple from http://www.2ridetheworld.com/ who have been riding their motorbikes continually around the world since May 2003, so 17 years now.

I think the yacht guys and the bike guys are mental, but then that's what everyone back in the West thinks about me too. I guess it all comes down to if you really love what you do.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just for fun, one of my many jobs over the years was working with the dock master in San Diego California. We met a lot of sailors like this. We were told that if you ever wanted to buy this type of boat the best place is New Zealand.

Seems lots of retired couple's had a dream of sailing around the world together. Whelp is seems that a lot of them got as far as NZ and sold the boats cheap before they got a divorce or killed each other.....

So if you want it cheap, go to NZ :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Just for fun, one of my many jobs over the years was working with the dock master in San Diego California. We met a lot of sailors like this. We were told that if you ever wanted to buy this type of boat the best place is New Zealand.

We had a friend in LA who happened to be the Chief of the boat on a Coast Guard Cutter in LA. When we sailed there, he greeted us on VHF very officially and then we switched to VHF 22 - which is Coast Guard official channel.

He directed us to go to the dock right next to the cutter in a small marina area right next to the county jail! It was the impound dock!

So, we had power, water, etc... And it was right at the entrance to the massive commercial marina and everyone going in and out was staring at us and the yacht thinking we were arrested and the yacht impounded. We enjoyed the notoriety during our several days stay there... And one of the crew on the cutter did not know the story and was prepared to make us an offer on our "impounded" yacht!!!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I knew a guy that inherited 300k when his dad died, he bought a sailboat in San Diego and he and his girlfriend spent three years sailing in South and Central America, also the Caribbean, after three years he sold the boat in Florida and ditched the girlfriend, he said he never wanted to sail again, he said if you ever decide to do it don't bring a woman with you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AusExpat said:

Turns out it wasn't as cheap as he expected to live on it,

I'm not sure if you watched the whole video, but towards the end he gives some estimated on what it costs.  He is a computer nerd so he has everything well documented, with pie charts, etc.!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Seems lots of retired couple's had a dream of sailing around the world together. Whelp is seems that a lot of them got as far as NZ and sold the boats cheap before they got a divorce or killed each other.....

So if you want it cheap, go to NZ :hystery:

In 2012 when I first got here I met a guy who apparently had done something like this.  He was selling a 40-50 footer while staying with an acquaintance.  Made it to the Philippines and burnt out.  I never got the whole story because they were sitting around smoking joints, so I skidaddled out of there!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not sure if you watched the whole video, but towards the end he gives some estimated on what it costs.  He is a computer nerd so he has everything well documented, with pie charts, etc.!

Fascinating video. I have not finished it yet, but I will soon.

Sailing a yacht such as this guy's is super expensive. Not just the outright cost of yacht and equipment, but the ongoing maintenance of engine, sails, lines (ropes), winches and on and on... those are what wore on me over 22+ years... 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I also note that there is no life raft aboard but it might be below decks... I see they have sat phone gear on the back. We just used short-wave radio... back in the days when dinosaurs were still roaming the earth and it was still cooling! That is a very high-end yacht - 53 feet... ours was 40. Each foot adds a phenomenal amount to the price and value. 

I think you missed that part.  I think it is towards the end he shows the stowage with the safety equipment including the raft.  Quite a detailed description!

• Like 2