Westerners complaining about Filipino issues that also affect them.

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

My local community has an HOA.  The HOA rules specifically exclude foreigners from being part of the HOA board.  That's as clear a message as you could get about the attitude towards foreigners input into domestic matters.  On the flip side, foreigners are required to pay the HOA fees like locals!  

In our condo complex foreigners are not excluded how ever not encouraged.

Recently there was a HOA meeting, not a single foreigner was advised in spite of making up around 30% ownership. This appears to be the norm, it poses no problem to myself as I try to stay under the radar as much as possible.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Shady said:

In some ways, yes. But in other ways the Japanese are as far from Filipinos as you can get, hyper-competitive and obsessed with success to the point of nearly leading the world in suicide.

Whilst I agree that the Japanese and the Filipino are quite different, I absolutely do not see the Japanese as being at all competitive or obsessed with success.  I think they are driven by the need to conform and be a team player and this contributes to their overworked society and the high suicide rate.  

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I absolutely do not see the Japanese as being at all competitive or obsessed with success.  I think they are driven by the need to conform and be a team player

I don't agree, in fact that's what defines their culture most throughout history; the high suicide rate now, the 'kamikaze' bombers of WW2, all the way back to the Samurai code of harakiri. Success or death: it's literally why they had to be atom-bombed into submission.

Meanwhile the Philippines takes the noon-lunch-break to new levels, but that's the laid-back attitude that makes it comfortable for tourists (unless you need something done at noon).

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Recently there was a HOA meeting, not a single foreigner was advised in spite of making up around 30% ownership.

I'm curious... what, if anything, do you know anything about wives of foreigners attending HOA meetings?

Are they 'discouraged' also?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, RBM said:

Recently there was a HOA meeting, not a single foreigner was advised in spite of making up around 30% ownership. This appears to be the norm, it poses no problem to myself as I try to stay under the radar as much as possible.

Must be a badly run condo complex. Where I live Email come almost daily from admin and notices always on a notice board as well as in the elevator. Even notices for all displayed on a TV screen in the lobby.

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm curious... what, if anything, do you know anything about wives of foreigners attending HOA meetings?

Are they 'discouraged' also?

I think Geoff this would depend on whose name the condo is in. Where we are all the admin staff are friendly and polite but when it comes to decision making foreigners are totally exempt. For a joint owned unit I suspect no foreigner involvement.

I stayed some years in a complex in Cebu and foreigners were discouraged from meetings but not openly as is the situation here.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

For our , foreigners are actively encouraged to participate in events and welcome to meetings. In fact, a couple of them have led sub-groups on various issues. And, the current HOA President is married to a German. But, the election rules specifically state Citizens only, no foreigners - both are stated to avoid and doubt. 

Edited by hk blues

• 4 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, kuripot said:

If you stay in a country long enough, you stop being a visitor.

Hey, I'll vote for ya!  Oops.  Can't.  No matter how long you stay you can never run for office as you are always a visitor.

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, kuripot said:

If you stay in a country long enough, you stop being a visitor. The ridiculous assumption that anyone who wants to complain or suggest changes should just leave is ignorant and in fact holding back said countries. Throughout history many countries have benefited from outsider influence to improve. If something is broken, no local knows to fix it and you know the fix but will not mention it -- you're part of the problem.

In the Philippines it may very well be one stops being a visitor how ever so long as your a foreigner thats where the buck ends. You can voice what ever you like how ever highly unlikely your opinions will ever be recognized except in a negative way.

Not suggesting the logic in your post is not sensible however when was logic ever listened to here.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1