social distancing and common sense

peterfe
Posted
Posted

I lived in Scandinavia for a long time, and maybe I'm biased, but I tend to think the information provided by the health authorities there is as factual and objective as any. The Danish health authorities say the coronavirus is not airborne (I believe the WHO is still saying that), and the Norwegians say it's not "normally" airborne. Whatever the truth is, I think common sense tells us that you're FAR more likely to get infected if someone coughs or sneezes on you than if they talk to you. And it seems those who believe it can be airborne (how easily?) only think it can happen if the other person talks (and presumably is facing you). So I would guess it's well nigh impossible to get the virus from standing behind a stranger in a queue, even if that person is talking to his friend. Or even from talking to a shop assistant, unless that person puts their face really close to yours. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, peterfe said:

The Danish health authorities say the coronavirus is not airborne (I believe the WHO is still saying that), and the Norwegians say it's not "normally" airborne. 

I wish governments (around the world) would stop using the word 'airborne' when it comes to SARS-Cov-2 because it just confuses people.

It is IMHO better to use the distinct terms 'droplet transmission' and 'areosol transmission' (ok small rant over).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I wish governments (around the world) would stop using the word 'airborne' when it comes to SARS-Cov-2 because it just confuses people.

It is IMHO better to use the distinct terms 'droplet transmission' and 'areosol transmission' (ok small rant over).

I think it is now incumbent on you to educate those of us who are not familiar with those terms.  That is the price you pay for a "small rant".  :tongue:

Edited by Mike J
  • Haha 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Even if your first line of defense, through practicing isolation, good social distancing and surface contact avoidance works till the local surge peaks and diminishes..... the unknowable threat levels will remain for an unknown time.... until many unanswered questions get scientifically resolved beyond much dispute.

The real question that concerns each of us is where our personal 'Red Lines' are that will put us into an infected state with unpredictable results. That depends on our individual health, immune system levels, genetic factors and a host of other factors which none of us have deep self knowledge of. 

All we can do for secondary defensive methods is to stay  fit as much as possible, and take our nutrients.  Having access to good medical care is also critical for many who are in high exposure areas.

Where I am at here on Panay Island, and back in my far northern home state, things seem under much better control than the rest of the PI or the USA.... so I will stay put and think twice about leaving here and passing through airports in the foreseeable future. 

Life has always had it's risks, but you always have to weigh the odds before taking a leap into the unknown before making your wager. The problem is, this time you're betting with your life.

• Like 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted

OK Geoff, I won't say a------e again. I'm glad you replied anyway, because I was considering going off and increasing the lockdown suicide statistics as nobody seemed to care about my post:SugarwareZ-037: After all, what is life worth if you don't get hearts and likes :sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Thanks, Dr. Geoff! I was considering making that or a similar comment. There is a difference.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks, Dr. Geoff! I was considering making that or a similar comment. There is a difference.

There he goes bragging again. :hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

There he goes bragging again. :hystery:

Hey Mike.... If POTUS can do that, as a US citizen, doesn't that bequeath me that right also?

Ouch ouch... I think I just wrenched my shoulder while patting myself on the back...:whistling:

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a huge simplification (as you'll find out if you start reading about this topic) but for the purposes of us average 'Joe in the Philippines' you can think of it like this.

Droplets are larger liquid 'drops' that are most often coughed or sneezed out, they can be projected for some distance by a cough or a sneeze (and carried a bit further by a wind) but they will eventually fall to a surface because they're too heavy to be carried by the air.  They will fall to a surface before they evaporate and they can then contaminate a surface.  So... drops of yucky cough and sneeze with virus particles in them ewww.  That's how 'droplet infection works'.

Aerosols are smaller droplets still liquid and still with virus in them but a lot smaller.  Small enough that they will float around and not fall to the ground.  These can be breathed out, not just coughed or sneezed (this is one of the simplifications ok).  If you are close to a person then they can breath an aerosol out and you can breath it in and you can be infected.  Aerosols will eventually mostly evaporate and the virus will become inactive some time after that. This is how 'aerosol infection' works.

There is a big debate at the moment around SARS-Cov2-19 and whether it spreads by just Droplet infection or by both Droplet infection and aerosol infection, I really don't know and I doubt we''ll know for a while yet.  Various groups have expressed a view but I honestly think it's a bit early to call the topic totally decided.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic