Is linguistic sarcasm used or common in the PI ?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for that. Normally, I am mostly abuser friendly. Sometimes I have my moments and typically regret the occasional sharp comment that slips out...

As someone posted a while ago, the forum might be rather boring if everyone agreed in lockstep with everyone else's comments or opinions? And yes, often mine are incorrect or not entirely thought out - keyboard fingers faster than my brain?

Nope... no infection there or anywhere now, for that matter. :smile: I love sarcasm (L hates when I use it) so use it often but not so much with her...

I was unsuccessful at isolating you last sentence in this posting...... it would make a good topic.  I have not come across much, if any use of sarcasm here, despite it being a quite common tool used in the US, and would suppose other English speaking countries. What are your opinions in this matter ? I will open it as a topic and see if it draws.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I really don't know... Try it and see if, when you throw it against the wall, it sticks or not? (I know... yuck, if you remember the high school era joke?).

I am not a master of it, but sometimes a sarcastic comment escapes my lips and L does not always appreciate the humour side of it.

9 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

despite it being a quite common tool used in the US, and would suppose other English speaking countries.

Yeah... just look at media stories from both liberal and conservatives...

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Tommy T mentioned that he seldom uses sarcasm with his wife.  I don't either (I'm not normally much of a sarcasm buff because it usually ends conversations and puts up defenses).  

An interesting point though is, to what degree do people here recognize it as such. I get the feel that it is either not understood as such, or written off as bad manners, since it may appear aggressive and provoking.  The SIR culture seems to avoid it.  I don't know what my wife and other Pinay relegate it to when they encounter it, since most of the gentle ladies are very positive and upbeat in their communications and prefer tampo shutdowns to sarcasm hen responding to things that upset them. Any opinions, thoughts or experiences with such..... to those who have used it with their wives or GFs ?

• Hmm thinking 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I really don't know... Try it and see if, when you throw it against the wall, it sticks or not? (I know... yuck, if you remember the high school era joke?).

I am not a master of it, but sometimes a sarcastic comment escapes my lips and L does not always appreciate the humour side of it.

Yeah... just look at media stories from both liberal and conservatives...

I posted it.   One of the reasons I found modern sit-coms so repulsive is that they are heavily laced with it....I suppose to get laughs.  But most people don't laugh when its aimed at them.  Or do they?

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Any opinions, thoughts or experiences with such..... to those who have used it with their wives or GFs ?

It has been my experience that sarcasm is seldom understood except by the very best of English speakers (a bit like some types of humor) YMMV.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Any opinions, thoughts or experiences with such..... to those who have used it with their wives or GFs ?

Actually, L uses it a lot with her co-teachers at school. She has told me of many times when someone makes a disparaging remark and she then replies with an exaggerated, "Wow!!! So you really think that.....etc. etc..." So it is not unheard of. And L recognizes instantly when I am sarcastic and busts me on it if it is a bit too directed...

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

I took the liberty to look it up.  I can see why Filipinos might not like having it delivered to their faces. When you openly mock or show contempt for another here, it is not easily brushed or blown off like it might be elsewhere.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, manofthecoldland said:
sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

I took the liberty to look it up.  I can see why Filipinos might not like having it delivered to their faces. When you openly mock or show contempt for another here, it is not easily brushed or blown off like it might be elsewhere.

I think you just answered your own question rather nicely.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think so........ but it would be good to hear about any first-hand encounters or experiences.  I know us Westerners often use it, but Tommy said that his wife encounters it with fellow teachers on occasion, so maybe its used discretely with close friends. I do know that my wife will use it with other Pinoy when, as she says...."they are being stupid", as she is angry.

Edited by manofthecoldland
missing word insert
  • Like 1