Work Visa to bypass a visa run

AusExpat
Posted
Posted

Maybe he could do a run to somewhere the emergency has finished like Japan, come back, worst case deal with a 2 week quarantine?

Take his "Cohabitation partner" with him might help too.

He should probably stay as long as he can then enquire at a major immigration centre before going in my limited opinion.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

He can get a job from another ex pat.

What type of job as there are rules as to who can work and in what type of jobs and a driver or gardener for another expat wont work :smile:

Maybe he can write to the commissioner and request an extended stay stating reasons such as family or whatever he can plead with or perhaps since he will already be overstaying apply for a "motion for reconsideration" which from what it says will give 38 days which might be enough for things to change or come up with a plan which perhaps should have been worked on before? 

http://immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/motion-for-reconsideration-on-updating-and-extension-of-authorized-stay 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What type of job as there are rules as to who can work and in what type of jobs and a driver or gardener for another expat wont work :smile:

Maybe he can write to the commissioner and request an extended stay stating reasons such as family or whatever he can plead with or perhaps since he will already be overstaying apply for a "motion for reconsideration" which from what it says will give 38 days which might be enough for things to change or come up with a plan which perhaps should have been worked on before? 

http://immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/motion-for-reconsideration-on-updating-and-extension-of-authorized-stay 

He's looking at renting out his condo and employing his partner as a caretaker assistant then renting somewhere cheap.  Just to get around having to depart with no likelyhood of getting back in as a tourist for the foreseable future. He's hoping as it is his condo he can manage it.

Edited by Snowy79

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

He's looking at renting out his condo and employing his partner as a caretaker assistant then renting somewhere cheap.  Just to get around having to depart with no likelyhood of getting back in as a tourist for the foreseable future. He's hoping as it is his condo he can manage it.

If I understand you, employing an assistant wont do anything in regards to a tourist visa. Not sure what the idea is here but to me he better keep thinking. :89:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If I understand you, employing an assistant wont do anything in regards to a tourist visa. Not sure what the idea is here but to me he better keep thinking. :89:

Working on thre principle that if he gets a working visa he can show it will benefit a local, no working visa then no need for a caretaker as he won't be able to rent out his condo as a tourist.

• I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Working on thre principle that if he gets a working visa he can show it will benefit a local, no working visa then no need for a caretaker as he won't be able to rent out his condo as a tourist.

Just my opinion, but they will probably see that he is trying to game the system.  At that point he will have screwed himself out of any opportunity to try a different route.  Philippine officials seem to really hate it when a foreigner tries to pull a fast one on them.  Maybe he could try speaking with an immigration attorney if you can find one who is competent and honest? 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Everything I've read says they'd let you in if you're married to a Filipino, not actually with a marriage visa? I think they'd let you in on a Balikbayan if you're with your wife but could be wrong.

I read that somewhere too but it doesn't help me because we decided (before Covid) to put off the marriage until later this year after the house renovations were finished.   We were going to start the process of changing away from a tourist visa after that.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Except that he can't come back into the country for months after he leaves because people that were on tourist visas (like him and me) aren't allowed to enter the Philippines at the moment.  I'm sure he doesn't want to be separated from his family any more than I want to be separated from mine.

This will not last Geoff, already the financial impact on the tourist business is immense. The country needs tourists and my guess is before years end the borders will be open.

There must be many in a similar situation needing to exit, there are still ways to exit if one does not want to go through the hassles of flying. Main problem appears to be of obtaining the correct information. perhaps if anybody is updated they will post here.

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Just my opinion, but they will probably see that he is trying to game the system.  At that point he will have screwed himself out of any opportunity to try a different route.  Philippine officials seem to really hate it when a foreigner tries to pull a fast one on them.  Maybe he could try speaking with an immigration attorney if you can find one who is competent and honest? 

Agreed.

Why doesn't this guy go read the Immigration website from start to finish as a starting point then he can start asking questions that make sense to follow up, at present he seems very confused about visas overall.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

Agreed.

Why doesn't this guy go read the Immigration website from start to finish as a starting point then he can start asking questions that make sense to follow up, at present he seems very confused about visas overall.

He's just testing the water before he goes to immigration and burns all of his bridges. There must be a few people here that have a small condo on a tourist visa and within 3 years have a partner and kid then the condo is too small so they move out and renting the condo out makes sense.

• Like 1