Postal address

Wandsworthbob
Posted
Posted
On 7/22/2020 at 5:18 AM, Mike J said:

Like Scott, I am also not familiar with the term.  A description of what you call a "managed postal address" will allow us to give you an answer. :thumbsup:

OK. Basically for reasons I'd like to keep private for now, I'd like an address that gives the appearance of me living/residing there. I understand it may sound a little nefarious but really it's quite harmless. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Wandsworthbob said:

appearance of me living/residing there.

I don't know how things work in ole blighty, but for a Yank all I did was make my Home of Record address (actual government forms)  here in the phil with all relevant government agencies (for tax and vote purposes etc). I get all my mail here. I did this before I moved and I had mail waiting for me when I did get here. I have no idea if this would help or not.

Wandsworthbob
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, scott h said:

I don't know how things work in ole blighty, but for a Yank all I did was make my Home of Record address (actual government forms)  here in the phil with all relevant government agencies (for tax and vote purposes etc). I get all my mail here. I did this before I moved and I had mail waiting for me when I did get here. I have no idea if this would help or not.

Thanks Scott.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:18 AM, Mike J said:

Like Scott, I am also not familiar with the term.  A description of what you call a "managed postal address" will allow us to give you an answer. :thumbsup:

OK. Basically for reasons I'd like to keep private for now, I'd like an address that gives the appearance of me living/residing there. I understand it may sound a little nefarious but really it's quite harmless. 

peterfe
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, Wandsworthbob said:

Hi, is it possible to get a managed postal address in the Philippines please? 

I am guessing what you want, Bob, is a "maildrop". For those unfamiliar with the word (maybe it's mostly used in the UK), it's an address different from your real address (usually in another country), which makes (some) people think you actually live there. Now there doesn't need to be anything shifty about this. Imagine you live in a village in some developing country and you want to start a business designing websites or whatever. You'll get (much) more business if you have e.g. a London address on your own website than if you put the obscure village address. You may not get any snail mail at all, but if you do, the person in the London maildrop can open it and scan the contents for you. Another reason for having a maildrop could be if you've left your wife and want to continue corresponding with her but you don't want her turning up on your doorstep :bash:  

Bob, I imagine if you search for "maildrop" or "mail forwarding" you'll probably find something in the Philippines.

• Like 2

Wandsworthbob
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, peterfe said:

I am guessing what you want, Bob, is a "maildrop". For those unfamiliar with the word (maybe it's mostly used in the UK), it's an address different from your real address (usually in another country), which makes (some) people think you actually live there. Now there doesn't need to be anything shifty about this. Imagine you live in a village in some developing country and you want to start a business designing websites or whatever. You'll get (much) more business if you have e.g. a London address on your own website than if you put the obscure village address. You may not get any snail mail at all, but if you do, the person in the London maildrop can open it and scan the contents for you. Another reason for having a maildrop could be if you've left your wife and want to continue corresponding with her but you don't want her turning up on your doorstep :bash:  

Bob, I imagine if you search for "maildrop" or "mail forwarding" you'll probably find something in the Philippines.

You're correct Peter. There would be very little mail at all and I'd probably only need it for a year, if that. Good advice on the wording, thanks. 👍

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

I don't know how things work in ole blighty, but for a Yank all I did was make my Home of Record address (actual government forms)  here in the phil with all relevant government agencies (for tax and vote purposes etc). I get all my mail here.

What about your US credit card or bank accounts?

peterfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Wandsworthbob said:

You're correct Peter. There would be very little mail at all and I'd probably only need it for a year, if that. Good advice on the wording, thanks. 👍

Happy to help a fellow Wandsworthian (I was born in Southfields). Be careful, though - if you want to give this person or people the impression that you've just moved to the Philippines, they can easily find out that foreigners (tourists) aren't allowed in, and haven't been for months. If it doesn't have to be the Philippines, you could instead choose a country where you could have entered recently as a UK citizen (mostly European countries). 

Wandsworthbob
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, peterfe said:

Happy to help a fellow Wandsworthian (I was born in Southfields). Be careful, though - if you want to give this person or people the impression that you've just moved to the Philippines, they can easily find out that foreigners (tourists) aren't allowed in, and haven't been for months. If it doesn't have to be the Philippines, you could instead choose a country where you could have entered recently as a UK citizen (mostly European countries). 

Hey that's brilliant mate, although I'm not originally from wandsworth!! 

I'd love to pick your brain a little if we could chat privately 🍺

hk blues
Posted
Posted

When I moved to Hong Kong, I changed my mailing address temporarily to a trusted friend's. It worked well but make sure your friend is not just trustworthy, but reliable and organised as well! 

Wandsworthbob
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

When I moved to Hong Kong, I changed my mailing address temporarily to a trusted friend's. It worked well but make sure your friend is not just trustworthy, but reliable and organised as well! 

Problem is I don't know anyone there