Thunderstorm in CDO

macdonald
Posted
Posted (edited)

Image may contain: outdoor    Had a slow moving thunderstorm last night. The pic is of the main drag in downtown CDO. In some places it was waste deep. This is why we chose to live in the uptown area. We got the rain but no flooding. Hopefully it'll be like that when we get a tropical storm or hurricane

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We had torrential rain last night too - our area is not particularly prone to flooding but our neighbours at the bottom of the street do have problems from time-to-time as the street is sloping down towards their area.  The problem is, many homeowners have built ramps and these have blocked the storm drains so not enough water is going into the drains.  Typical.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I will ask SWMBO if they had any flooding but I think she would have said something if the house there had any problems.

It's not in downtown (or uptown) but it is a bit higher than the downtown area.

macdonald
Posted
Posted

GeoffH, The pic I showed was on Nat'l Hwy in front of Giasano and Ayala mall in downtown CDO. You can't get anymore downtown than that.

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, macdonald said:

GeoffH, The pic I showed was on Nat'l Hwy in front of Giasano and Ayala mall in downtown CDO. You can't get anymore downtown than that.

Ayala mall is where we go when the smaller Giasano at Puerto doesn't have what we want, uptown is on the other side of the city from us.

I've never seen it flooded like that :sad:

• Like 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted

Nat'l Hwy in Kauswagan, by SaveMore people were waist deep. Uptown is by SM and Xavier Estates etc. and the roads didn't have any standing water

• Sad 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted

GeoffH, I hope I'm not being too nosy to ask, when you say uptown is the other side of the city to you, where is the area of your home?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, macdonald said:

GeoffH, I hope I'm not being too nosy to ask, when you say uptown is the other side of the city to you, where is the area of your home?

I was initially looking around uptown but SWMBO wanted to be closer to the few relatives that are living in CDO (most are over in Ozamiz but I didn't want to live there and she was already moving away from her city and most of her relatives for me so I was happy to look at other locations).

The house we chose is in Bugo which is on the far side of Puerto.  A relative who is a Real Estate agent suggested it to us (and we got it for a good price I think, it's an ex expat house).  Most of the subdivision is smaller houses but there are a couple of streets of larger 2 and 3 story houses.  And there is a lola who had an expat husband (now deceased) who lives in the same subdivision in a house that they built when her expat husband was still alive.  Her daughters live with her still so SWMBO has some family near. And there is another uncle who has a nice house on a farm property out near Manolo Fortich which is also on this side of the city.  I grew up in the country and it's nice not feeling like I'm living right in a big city.  It works for both of us.  And I like living outside of the main city area and not too far from the tree covered hills (nice view) and the air quality is better than closer to the city.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted

I'm just the opposite, GeoffH. Never lived in a town smaller than 200,000, but I like to keep my distance from the inner city, it's way too hectic. On Nat'l Hwy during peek traffic, it can take close to an hr. to go 5 km... Even though uptown CDO is getting more crowded than it was 10 yrs ago, when we 1st tried to retire here,  it's still much better than downtown. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes downtown when busy is a pain but I don't drive much in the Philippines.   SWMBO's papa was a taxi driver and he drives the Innova for us so I can sit and relax, he is actually a good driver (which I can't say for a lot of taxi drivers).   I do drive enough to keep in practice but mostly if I drive I use SWMBO's little Wigo or I hop on the motorbike and just go to Gaisano Puerto.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2