Thunderstorm in CDO

macdonald
Posted
Posted

You disguise your Australian accent very well. You never once said mate or gday or cooey or Sheila or put a shrimp on the barbie.. LOL. ..I've pretty much lost my Canadian accent, except if I'm around fellow Canucks and I fall right back into it, Eh!!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, macdonald said:

You disguise your Australian accent very well. You never once said mate or gday or cooey or Sheila or put a shrimp on the barbie.. LOL. ..I've pretty much lost my Canadian accent, except if I'm around fellow Canucks and I fall right back into it, Eh!!

It's the arvo now and it's been great to chew the fat, a right bonza convo we 'ad chewing the fat, ya tell a good yarn.   Soz if I ear bashed ya too much mate.  

But it's getting close to beer oclock and with the fridge bare as a prossies pussy there's buckleys chance of me not shooting through to the bottlo, spending a few oxford scholars, grabbing a country cousins tinnies, chucken em in the esky and getting a few in me (no scullin' though I'll leave that to the whipper snappers).

Hooroo cobber  :cheersty:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Hooroo cobber  :cheersty:

Sounds like a true 'Strine to me!!!(eh?)

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Sounds like a true 'Strine to me!!!(eh?)

I had to stop and think about what I was typing, I don't really use much strine in day to day life.

I will say that the further into the bush you go generally the stronger the accent tends to be and the more strine is used (but my post was... err... a bit over the top) :)

• Haha 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted

GeoffH, Where's the translator button on this page, EH! ..Went to an expats gathering this afternoon here in CDO, at the Kingston Lodge in the uptown area.  Danny the owner is an Aussie also.. Had to be at least 6 Aussies there, telling tails and fixing what's wrong with the world. And I had some really good fish & chips [Aussie, English, Canadian style]

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 10/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, macdonald said:

put a shrimp on the barbie.

As an Aussie I have never heard anyone say that except on a TV ad. In fact I would say most never BBQ shrimp for general BBQs in the backyard. The power of advertising :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

As an Aussie I have never heard anyone say that except on a TV ad.

Next thing you're gonna tell us is that Aussies do not drink Fosters

Or use energizer batteries

• Haha 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

As an Aussie I have never heard anyone say that except on a TV ad. In fact I would say most never BBQ shrimp for general BBQs in the backyard. The power of advertising :smile:

Sorry, if your feathers got ruffled by me, for just having a little fun with 1 of your countrymen. As a Canadian growing up in the 50's and 60's, I never used the term, EH! or Takeoff! and yet you see it used all the time in movies and tv. And now, whenever I'm talking to a Canuck, I use it and other phrases I never used before and they think I never left Canada. Go figure

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, macdonald said:

As a Canadian growing up in the 50's and 60's, I never used the term, EH! or Takeoff! and yet you see it used all the time in movies and tv. And now, whenever I'm talking to a Canuck, I use it and other phrases I never used before and they think I never left Canada. Go figure

Well... I never grew up... I have aged, but not grown up, eh?

I lived near Toronto and friends who were from Quebec or the northern part of the province always said "eh." The rest of us never did... But I learned at an early age to dress French fries only with white vinegar... Cheers, eh?:cheersty:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

macdonald
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well... I never grew up... I have aged, but not grown up, eh?

I lived near Toronto and friends who were from Quebec or the northern part of the province always said "eh." The rest of us never did... But I learned at an early age to dress French fries only with white vinegar... Cheers, eh?:cheersty:

Ya, I got you. When I look in the mirror I ask, who the hell is that. Still love hotrods and old music. My home town is London, Ontario.  When you say near Toronto, where?