How to deal with street children here in philippines?

alumana005
Posted
Posted

for example foreign people experience robbing or stealing money from them by the street children here in philippines;

• how they deal with this kind of experience?

• what do they need to do?

• how to avoid this?

• how to reach out / seek help?

I hope I get help on what to do in this scenario
I don't know how / what to do / where I can get assistance.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Be very aware of your surroundings and your possessions.. put them into deep pockets or hold on tight to them... or better yet, if you know where you go there will be street children bring the minimum that you need..

One way around the problem is to walk fast.. as in foreigner fast.. kids give up if they think " its too much trouble", hes walking too fast for me.

The kids themselves if still young arent too much trouble but the hungry angry teenager who thinks nothing of getting very close, abusive and in your face angry can be much more of a problem.

Wearing shoes are treading on a few toes has worked for some people but dont ever hit a street kid..they know exactly where the nearest cop shop is and it will be an expensive day for you. 

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Freebie said:

but dont ever hit a street kid..

If in any Doubt, DON"T

Welcome.jpg Just be aware at all times :wink:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Freebie said:

...but dont ever hit a street kid..they know exactly where the nearest cop shop is and it will be an expensive day for you. 

Or worse - a knife in your gut with many witnesses willing to shout self-defence in favour of the street kid.  

Just turn the other cheek and accept the loss of pride and get away from the place.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Have never experienced older kids ( Teenagers ) begging in groups but for the younger ones a smile and a show of kindness they quickly disappear with the spoils.

By kindness, I mean some fruit at the nearby stall or bread seems to work, but careful not to give or show money. :tiphat:

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted

Only likely to experience such stuff in big cities such as Manila.  I wear a 'fishing jacket' So many pockets, they don't know which one to pick (because that is what they are actually up to). 

Avoid dubious areas, red-light districts and the like, if you want to avoid this kind of situation.

Would you wander around such places in your home country ?

Shouldn't be a problem now anyway... as 'kids' under 21 are not allowed out of their home...supposedly.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Although my heart goes out to street children keep in mind the younger ones are sometimes used by criminal syndicates and have minders nearby watching them and you. 

Alumana005, as a Filipino do the street children ever attempt to steal from you?

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Freebie said:

dont ever hit a street kid..they know exactly where the nearest cop shop is and it will be an expensive day for you.

If they go to the cops (which they will never do), the cops will likely give them another smack. 

Years ago it was much worse with the beggars and pickpockets, but the cops started going after the parents and now it's barely an issue. 

Just ignore them, you aren't doing them any favors and in fact can get in trouble for giving them anything.

The only exceptions are the ones who are "working", selling things like those flower bracelets or towels, I always buy whatever they have.

• Like 3