Grocery Prices Going Up?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Have you all noticed groceries going up?  My wife commented that the wet market prices are higher.  The guy she buys my BBQ sticks from changed his price from 10p a stick to 15p.

The imported products I buy at our local duty free are going up.  The frozen beef sirloin patties, from California, that I like, had already gone up, before Covid.  A few years ago they were like $13, then before Covid $15.  They have been out of stock for a few months and had them this morning, $17.

I was at Pure Gold Duty Free last week and I was so astounded by this price that I took a picture.

20201103_144724 (2).jpg

When I dumped my phone just now I noticed and was reminded to look up the U.S. price.

Screenshot (99).png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I can't say I'm surprised by food prices going up, there are large numbers  of factories and farms that around the world aren't producing as much due to a variety of (indirectly) Covid related reasons.  The only thing I'm really surprised by is how long it's taken to actually start having an effect, I was expecting sooner to be honest.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I can't say I'm surprised by food prices going up, there are large numbers  of factories and farms that around the world aren't producing as much due to a variety of (indirectly) Covid related reasons.  The only thing I'm really surprised by is how long it's taken to actually start having an effect, I was expecting sooner to be honest.

Indeed.  That said, businesses are not stupid and know that as much as times are tough for them, they're tougher for customers.  My wife hasn't mentioned any increases but we shop only in supermarkets like Robinson and SM rather than import stores such as S&R.  I did notice prices have gone up in a couple of fast food joints such as Jollibee and Ma Inasal.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

One thing this virus has taught me is to shop around.  I'm used to thinking a supermarket is cheaper than a small store as their purchasing power is better and they like to have a fast and large turnover. 

I'm now noticing that many things I buy as staple items are at times twice as expensive in the supermarket, SaveMore being crazy at times. Maybe it's tourist tax as the store is opposite a high class resort here.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

One thing this virus has taught me is to shop around.  I'm used to thinking a supermarket is cheaper than a small store as their purchasing power is better and they like to have a fast and large turnover. 

I'm now noticing that many things I buy as staple items are at times twice as expensive in the supermarket, SaveMore being crazy at times. Maybe it's tourist tax as the store is opposite a high class resort here.

Aren't prices regulated here - at least staples? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think so.  I have found that Office Warehouse has better prices than National Bookstore.  The box I have has lasted a long time.

5047a22e-8251-4a05-9905-3f6744270f92.jpg 90910261172e287195ac8223b7232294.jpg

I almost fell for it! :hystery:

• Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Aren't prices regulated here - at least staples? 

In the markets I've seen signs for the prices of meat which is meant to be set but remembering where we are they are flexible.