Automotive Air Con Advice Needed

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, OnMyWay said:

GM compressor p27,000.  I think the lowest I have seen advertised is 25 and he would probably give it to me for that.

Condenser with drier included - p12,000

Front evaporator with expansion valve - p11,000

Rear evaporator with expansion valve - p12,000

On 11/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, intrepid said:

Do you only mentioned buying the parts from this guy.  Is he close enough to have him do the work?  I'm sure others locally could do the repair.  However, even if its a long drive it may be worth it to have the parts supplier repair it also if they do the work.  Might be worth it in the end.

So this guy is turning out to be the most promising.    The prices above are from the first guy.  This guy in Quezon City gave me these prices for GM parts.

Compressor 28,000

Condenser (I assume drier is included) 11,500

Front evaporator with expansion valve 11,500

Rear expansion valve 4500 (rear evaporator to be cleaned, no replaced)

Total  55,000

He said if I come to him, he will give parts and labor for 56,000, and it takes 4-5 hours.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

So this guy is turning out to be the most promising.    The prices above are from the first guy.  This guy in Quezon City gave me these prices for GM parts.

Compressor 28,000

Condenser (I assume drier is included) 11,500

Front evaporator with expansion valve 11,500

Rear expansion valve 4500 (rear evaporator to be cleaned, no replaced)

Total  55,000

He said if I come to him, he will give parts and labor for 56,000, and it takes 4-5 hours.

Even with the long drive I think end the end you will have less troubles and worry.  Take the drive and find a place to spend the night. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Even with the long drive I think end the end you will have less troubles and worry.  Take the drive and find a place to spend the night. 

I forgot to mention, he said the parts will have 1 year warranty.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

To me... it sounds like you are doing the best posssible to fix your problem there, OMW.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I was thinking about seeing if he would come here.  I think he is actually running the business from his house.  How much would be a reasonable addon to come here?  Google maps says it is 2 hours 15 minutes.  Tolls are almost 1000 including both ways.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I was thinking about seeing if he would come here.  I think he is actually running the business from his house.  How much would be a reasonable addon to come here?  Google maps says it is 2 hours 15 minutes.  Tolls are almost 1000 including both ways.

1000 for tolls, fuel for his vehicle and half a days wages?  Plus lunch while he's there?

Anything less than that and it's going to be costing him money I think.

Of course whether he'll come for that is a different issue...

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Might want to reconsider that and go to him. He’ll have all the tools needed there and the little “bits” that might or might not be required.......nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc that might not be reusable from your old systems. Even though he sounds like a competent tech, there is only so much he can bring and / or remember to bring. 

I’d also consider changing all the lines as well. When the compressor went it’s possible it shot some oil into lines.....even if blown out it’s possible some will remain, turn into sludge and could cause problems down the line. Obviously put a new belt on as well and check the tensioner pulley (if it has one). The bearings in them only last so long and they’re usually not expensive to replace. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

Might want to reconsider that and go to him. He’ll have all the tools needed there and the little “bits” that might or might not be required.......nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc that might not be reusable from your old systems. Even though he sounds like a competent tech, there is only so much he can bring and / or remember to bring. 

I’d also consider changing all the lines as well. When the compressor went it’s possible it shot some oil into lines.....even if blown out it’s possible some will remain, turn into sludge and could cause problems down the line. Obviously put a new belt on as well and check the tensioner pulley (if it has one). The bearings in them only last so long and they’re usually not expensive to replace. 

Yes, I have thought about that.  The only reason I thought of it is because another shop in Manila does "at home" service.  

The belt on the AC is the same drive belt for everything.  My main mechanic said it is in good shape.   I was planning on replacing all pulleys and the drive belt at 100 k km when I was planning to do the timing belt.  However, I probably won't keep it much longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don, you would need a second mortgage to get that done here in the States! My gosh that was done so quickly.

• Like 2