Vaccine

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Just announced here in the UK

Oxford/Astra zenika phase 3 results

Up to 90% effective

Another newsfeed I found said the cost per vaccine for Pfizer and moderna would be around 35 USD while the Oxford vaccine is 3 USD. It also is being mass manufactured in the developing world and doesn't need ultracold storage

The cavalry is coming guys

Good News - but the efficiency rate I'm reading is around 70% so a good bit below that of Pfizer and Moderna.   

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, TerryP said:

They conducted 3different trials

You're correct  70% on 2 of them

Single dose and full double dose

However half dose followed by a full dose revealed 90% due to the half dose priming the immune system and the second dose boosting the immunity

Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine shows an average effectiveness of 70%

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

70% (worst case) is still well in excess of the 50% efficacy that the US government said they'd accept for emergency approval and is enough to drive herd immunity effects.

It isn't enough to allow an individual to assume their own immunity from Covid by vaccine (but honestly neither is 90%).

I read today that QANTAS airlines CEO has stated publicly that after vaccines become available that QANTAS will be changing their terms of travel (at least for international flights) in such a way that having had a Covid vaccine will be required to fly.  And that he expects this to be something that is done around the world.  I can't say I'm surprised, it was a pretty obvious action to take.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-exclusive-the-compulsory-conditions-for-australians-to-travel-internationally-as-lockdowns-ease/e4bf2f6c-faab-46dd-8528-b7f8120ede2f

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

70% (worst case) is still well in excess of the 50% efficacy that the US government said they'd accept for emergency approval and is enough to drive herd immunity effects.

It isn't enough to allow an individual to assume their own immunity from Covid by vaccine (but honestly neither is 90%).

I read today that QANTAS airlines CEO has stated publicly that after vaccines become available that QANTAS will be changing their terms of travel (at least for international flights) in such a way that having had a Covid vaccine will be required to fly.  And that he expects this to be something that is done around the world.  I can't say I'm surprised, it was a pretty obvious action to take.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-exclusive-the-compulsory-conditions-for-australians-to-travel-internationally-as-lockdowns-ease/e4bf2f6c-faab-46dd-8528-b7f8120ede2f

I would imagine that with Australia having a relatively low infection rate this is a measure that not only qantos will implement but the Australian government as well to prevent returning passengers bringing infection back into the country and lots of other countries will implement also

herein lies a problem

Here in the UK vaccines will be administered according to need ie health workers vunerable then descending age groups not ability to pay

I should imagine the vast majority of international travellers don't fall into the high priority categories

So see you young fit individuals who are chomping at the bit to get some sun sea and you know what else

FORGET IT send your granny

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, TerryP said:

I should imagine the vast majority of international travellers don't fall into the high priority categories

The supply of free vaccines is limited and will be administered to 'high priority categories' (in Australia that's been said to be health care workers and then seniors and those with comorbidities).

However (despite the issue being skirted around by media groups) vaccines will for sale on the general market outside of government supplies and I'd guess airlines and 'pay' vaccine providers will come to arrangements to allow potential passengers to be vaccinated (not initially of course, but some time later down the track).

Astra Zenica is one of the only 'non-profits' to be in the leading group, the others are all expecting to make money out of the vaccine (not that I'm saying there is anything immoral about that in and of itself but it does lend itself to for profit arranagements with groups like airlines not just governments).

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The supply of free vaccines is limited and will be administered to 'high priority categories' (in Australia that's been said to be health care workers and then seniors and those with comorbidities).

However (despite the issue being skirted around by media groups) vaccines will for sale on the general market outside of government supplies and I'd guess airlines and 'pay' vaccine providers will come to arrangements to allow potential passengers to be vaccinated (not initially of course, but some time later down the track).

Astra Zenica is one of the only 'non-profits' to be in the leading group, the others are all expecting to make money out of the vaccine (not that I'm saying there is anything immoral about that in and of itself but it does lend itself to for profit arranagements with groups like airlines not just governments).

Mmm

Airline and tourism boost.

Vaccine vacation!!!

• Haha 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Mmm

Airline and tourism boost.

Vaccine vacation!!!

At last our government has crawled out of it's hole and announced the schedule for vaccination here in the UK

It's starting next month and will conclude in march

Still a lot of iffing and butting aka covering of one's arse but that's politicians for you

Happy days!!!

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, TerryP said:

At last our government has crawled out of it's hole and announced the schedule for vaccination here in the UK

It's starting next month and will conclude in march

That's well ahead of Australia's schedule, our pollies have announced a start next March (although I concede the situation in the UK is much more serious than in Australia which has very low numbers now).

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic