Philippine Paul
Posted
Posted

Hello GeoffH!

Thanks for your welcome!

You are correct with your comment to a certain degree.  When we first moved here, I met every so often a Veteran or two while shopping at Citihardware in Ozamiz City (now located closer to Clarin), as well as some restaurants, pharmacies, Robinsons Supermarket and, Gaisano Mall. In late October 2016, I came up with the idea of creating our first Veteran's Day Get-Together in Ozamiz City.  I of course don't consume alcohol but, another Air Force Veteran Friend of mine in Ozamiz City did drink and suggested Gatz Bar. The date was set for November 11th (Veterans's Day) and, we only had 5-Veterans (to include me) attend with our wives.  However, we also made an inclusion to allow Expats in the area that we knew (to include my closest friend from the Neatherlands and his wife...my wife's cousin) and, the total amount of attendees was 10-men and 10-women, both sitting at separate tables.  The get-together was considered a success, with us planning on doing this every year.  However, one of the Expats (Retired British Hong Kong Policeman) decided that 1-year was too long to wait, so he made the decision for the group (without my knowing about it until much later), to host this get-together every 6-months.  Well after 6-months passed, it seems that this wasn't enough time to be apart and, the decision was to hold it every 3-months (every quarter). Yet, that too wasn't enough time to be away from each other and, now it's the first Wednesday of Every Month.  (NOTE: Gatz Bar recently lost their business license as they didn't conform to the Coronavirus Rules and Regulations as far as Socializing, so from what I heard, there is no place to hold this event again until such time as another drinking establishment is located somewhere in Ozamiz City (few and far between) or elsewhere.)  Now, when my wife and I first retired here to the Philippines, we decided that we would host get-together functions at our home, providing all the food and beverages but, that too got out of hand, as no one bothered to pick up after themselves, leaving the mess up to us.  So, we decided a couple of years ago, that we would host whatever type of function (such as the Annual Thanksgiving Day Potluck Dinner...which is this coming Thursday, 11/26) at Fuentes Beach Resort, where we have held (to include this coming Thursday) it for 3-years time, with each Expat's Spouse in charge of collecting the money for the women to consume Lechon and, prizes.  Everyone brings their own food (to share with everyone else), their own chairs, their own beverages and, a good time is always had by all.  Other times in the past, a Veteran or Expat will decide to host a function somewhere further up the coast (such as in Dela Paz or Panaon) on a nice sandy beach and, the same thing occurs, with everyone bringing a potluck meal to share, along with their outdoor chairs and, a good time is had by all.  So, if you are ever in the neighborhood once again (once the Pandemic has ended (if it will ever end), then feel free to drop on by but, first contact me via my email address.  Please note, that the Expat / Veteran Group that I created has their own name now and, I will release those details to you via email as well, once you contact me.

Philippine Paul

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic