Lack of enforcement,,,It just boggles the mind.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Shady said:

If by titled you mean freehold title you should be fine. The problems with condos can happen with a leasehold title, ie the condo developer doesn't own the land, they just lease it for 50 years.

The reason this hasn't been an issue so far in the PH is because none of the condos are 50 years old...yet.

The problem on Boracay was certain pockets were lined and all the necessary paperwork and titles were issued. Everything at face value was good.  Building permits, environmental certificates plus titles.  Unfortunatley there's a clause in the law that states if you receive items by error or illegal means you lose and no come back. 

I have some sympathy for the owners although to be fair I noticed that there could be problems when I did my research.  Some things were burried under lots of legal terminology but the building on forest land and the proposed road stuck out to me.  As I said I had real estate agents and attorney's telling me everything is legal and they showed all the necessary documentation and laughed when I asked if the government would forcefully recover the land.  I mean when they are pointing out massive properties worth hundreds of millions and telling you they have been there years, everything is in order it makes you think. 

The were so strict on the enforcement that when they measured 16m from the centre line of the roads the whole length of the island if your property was within 10cm of that line you had to move it. Almost every property lost it's main supporting wall and had to build a new one set back. Some propereties had waste land opposite but instead of moving the road 10cm into it they insisited the building moved. 

At station one where the road runs parallel to the beach some properties lost out both ways. They increased the encroachment zone to 30m from high tide meaning some properties lost the whole beach side of their properties then at the rear they also lost with the new road widening. In a couple of places the road and encroachment area overlapped meaning the whole property had to go. For once common sense prevailed and they allowed a wall to stay to prevent the sand being blown onto the road.

Buyer beware as they say.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, TerryP said:

Reassuring to hear that traffic cop mentality exists elsewhere

Every Christmas we have a highly publicised drink driving campaign

The really stupid carry on as normal and are culled. Meanwhile the smart stupid park up for a couple of weeks then it's back to normal in the new year

I don't see a problem with the annual drink drive campaign Terry.

As you have noted, the stupid carry on as normal, get caught and are punished and less likely to do it again. How can that be a bad thing? I know this from personal experience of a close family friend who got caught, served his time and has never driven again.

Sure, the less stupid simply behave for a while and start up when the campaign is over - this also reduces the number of accidents albeit for a short time but still.

In an ideal world the campaigns would be year round but resources being what they are that's not possible.

Without getting on my high horse too much, let's not forget who the villians are in these scanarios.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, jimeve said:

My locals are very nice, they played non stop music for 11 hours and they even turned the volume up for me to hear, so nice of them. I was going to visit them to say what kindly and thoughtful neighbors you are. And in the evening they turned the really nice music up so the rest of the barangay could hear. Every day this week too, even the schoolkids were listening, still better than studying. 

Neighbors like that, gotta love them.:571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

Can assure you Jim you do not have a licence on this..........Its probably the most common complaint here.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Can assure you Jim you do not have a licence on this..........Its probably the most common complaint here.

I know mate, can't do a thing about it. It's a case of put up or move.

18 years ago was a lot different then, nice and peaceful, a sleepy fishing barangay. How times have changed.

It only takes one family to move next door to you and bam! You're fooked.

• Sad 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, jimeve said:

18 years ago was a lot different then, nice and peaceful, a sleepy fishing barangay. How times have changed.

True that things change over time but we did our due diligence before buying our house.  We asked the neighbors about loud parties and noise.  All of them said this was a quiet community because the mayor lives here and gets mad if the parties get too loud.😆😆 

That was good enough for us.  Hope it stays this way.😀

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, jimeve said:

Wrong Jim....The late Marian Santiago introduced a law UNJUST VEXATION  for exactly your and similar situations. A complaint can be filed without an attorney with the prosecutor.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Wrong Jim....The late Marian Santiago introduced a law UNJUST VEXATION  for exactly your and similar situations. A complaint can be filed without an attorney with the prosecutor.

And risk getting a bullet in the back, remember where you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Balisidar said:

True that things change over time but we did our due diligence before buying our house.  We asked the neighbors about loud parties and noise.  All of them said this was a quiet community because the mayor lives here and gets mad if the parties get too loud.😆😆 

That was good enough for us.  Hope it stays this way.😀

What's it going to be like in the future? i asked about the noise too but things change. How long will she be mayor?

Like I said sleepy village 18 years ago.  Hope it stays quite for you in the future too.

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted

Suggestion

Have a word with some of the exmilitary guys

They probably still have a pair of really good ear defenders kicking about they could lend you

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1