Need to keep USA cell service?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Wife and I are planning the move soon. Wondering how people there communicate with their banks and other agencies back in USA?

periodically my bank and Signing into government agencies will want a reply to a text message. 

Do you just bit the cost of keeping your USA based cell number? I have an iPhone with the virtual sim for AT&T and a Globe as secondary. We have been keeping our Globe numbers active with periodic loads.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I use skype.

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I use skype.

I don't think you can do banking two factor authentications with Skype... I am keeping my USA based cell number. Google Voice used to work in the past but currently most banks will not allow Google Voice numbers in their system.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I use skype.

I use Skype also, but it will not receive text messages and forward them. Is it the same for you?

When there is two-factor authentication required, I have usually had the option of using e-mail instead of text.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

When I'm there... I've used two party authentication with my cell (Verizon) easily for those reasons ... and as Tommy said email option works as well. Depending on your needs, keeping a US phone with a US carrier can be a little pricey... I get the international plan and along with my unlimited data... it comes in real handy.  I can watch Amazon Prime movies when cable is down or there is a brown out... as long as the cell tower generator is running :thumbsup:

Heeb
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, FlyAway said:

Wife and I are planning the move soon. Wondering how people there communicate with their banks and other agencies back in USA?

periodically my bank and Signing into government agencies will want a reply to a text message. 

Do you just bit the cost of keeping your USA based cell number? I have an iPhone with the virtual sim for AT&T and a Globe as secondary. We have been keeping our Globe numbers active with periodic loads.

Lat year my cell plan was in temporary hold and I ran into a problem trying to apply for my wife's social security, I lost my sim so I couldn't  reactivate it. When I went back stateside I reactivated my T-mobile to a military overseas plan which is cheaper, I have an I-phone also with electronic sim, even though I now have a monthly bill it's worth it, I can also make and receive calls to the USA for free using WiFi calling and logins are easier using the phone for authentication.

Shady
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, FlyAway said:

Wondering how people there communicate with their banks and other agencies back in USA?

I use a global call forwarding service - https://startup.unitelvoice.com/best-vanity-toll-free-800-numbers

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

When there is two-factor authentication required, I have usually had the option of using e-mail instead of text.

Same here, but I fell foul of the system when my phone suddenly stopped accepting overseas SMS. I had selected SMS as preferred method and could only change to email by logging in to do so - and to log in I needed the SMS code! Arggg! 

Workaround is to take the sim from my phone and put it into my wife's which will accept overseas SMS. Drawback is this only works if you know an SMS is coming. Luckily, unlike many here, I pretty much cut all ties to UK stuff when I moved abroad so contact is minimal.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be getting the lowest cost plan to keep my USA cell active. It’s the authentication texts that worries me the most. 

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, FlyAway said:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be getting the lowest cost plan to keep my USA cell active. It’s the authentication texts that worries me the most. 

No need, global forwarding not only accept texts, but can forward them to your PH sim (or email). Same with calls and voice mails.

Edited by Shady