SpaceX Starlink internet coming to Philippines this year?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Starlink becoming available here in USA and Canada. It's around $100 USD a month as a bata user here localy with reasonably fast dish type internet service.

https://www.spacex.com

If ever it's allowed this could be a game changer for Expats dependent on the two dismal Filipino providers. Most likely the Government will protect local providers from real competition but one could always hope. :Happy:

SpaceX official says Starlink satellite internet will be offered in the Philippines this year

SpaceX is in the process of deploying a constellation of thousands of Starlink satellites that will beam high-speed broadband internet worldwide. Rural areas on Earth will benefit from the space-based internet because it is more reliable that terrestrial infrastructures. With approximately 960 satellites operating in low Earth orbit, the company is already providing Starlink Beta internet service to select customers living in high-latitudes, including northern United States, Canada, and United Kingdom. This year the company will launch more satellites to increase its capability to offer Starlink service to more customers globally.

Philippines Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, held a virtual conference on December 28 with SpaceX’s Vice President for Satellite Government Affairs Patricia Cooper. They discussed bringing SpaceX’s Starlink broadband internet service to the Asian island country this year. “In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Philippines will immensely benefit from Starlink’s high-speed and low-latency Internet which can make possible effective contact tracing and quarantine monitoring, improved and accessible government services, enhanced security, online education and remote learning, emergency and disaster preparedness,” Senator Pimentel said, according to Manila Bulletin, a Philippines news agency. –“This initiatory engagement with SpaceX is both timely and encouraging. The pandemic has taught us that ‘connectivity is life.’ This is why I believe coverage by the Starlink is very important for the Philippines given that we are a nation of more than 7,600 islands with a substantial number of its citizens living and working outside of the country. Our citizens want and need to be in touch with one another through efficient and affordable means,” he said.

During the conference, Ms. Cooper shared SpaceX targets the third quarter of 2021 to provide high-speed Starlink satellite internet in the Philippines, primarily focused on rural and remote areas in the islands. Starlink customers receive internet communication from the satellites orbiting Earth via a phased-array dish antenna and Wi-Fi router device. Additionally, SpaceX plans to build hundreds of ‘Starlink Gateways’ which are ground stations that will offer a more stable connection to its customers. You can sign-up via Starlink.com to receive updates about when the service will be available in your city.

This is from aTesla blog last month that can be found using Mr. Google.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

A bit out of my price bracket but it will be interesting to see who gets the sole rights to the distribution of the system.  I'm sure it won't be a politician's relative who has zero experience in that kind of technology. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Cool... signed up to be Beta User... we'll see

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The quoted speeds are impressive but the latency is a bit higher than land based systems (unavoidable given the technology being used) but that's really only going to impact gamers.  The price will have to come down a fair bit before it competes directly against main stream internet providers in the mass consumer market segment though.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

The Phils begging bowl is already out.

Yes, it sounds wonderful, but SOMEBODY has to pay for it.

Having said that, I live out of town, and my PLDT 'Home Fiber' has been excellent 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The quoted speeds are impressive but the latency is a bit higher than land based systems (unavoidable given the technology being used) but that's really only going to impact gamers.  The price will have to come down a fair bit before it competes directly against main stream internet providers in the mass consumer market segment though.

I don' t think their business model is based on competing with land based systems.  They are going after the rural market where service is slow or even nonexistent.  Moalboal for instance has very slow and unreliable service.   While expensive, I would be willing to pay the $100 per month for fast, reliable, unlimited internet.   And as other low orbit systems come onto the market the prices may drop.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

While expensive, I would be willing to pay the $100 per month for fast, reliable, unlimited internet.   And as other low orbit systems come onto the market the prices may drop.

It would be nice to see a bit of competition of any kind with Smart (Stupid) and Globe. They have had it too easy for too long...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It would be nice to see a bit of competition of any kind with Smart (Stupid) and Globe. They have had it too easy for too long...

Yes...but...

Where I am we have Globe - hybrid connection. Last week the tech advised us fiber was now available so we went off to the store and applied - no problem they said, just get a permit from the HOA and we'll get on it.  I went to HOA - sorry sir, we aren't allowing Globe to install fiber in your section. Huh?  Off I went to the developer's office to see what's going on - a load of excuses and BS followed.  Basically, on our subdivision the developer has their own internet company and they want us to move over to it - they don't have a landline so I'm unwilling to do this.  Yesterday and today they were at our home telling us we should move to them and that Globe have no fiber service or landline in our area - totally untrue!

Long and short of it - competition is great where it's allowed.

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

the developer has their own internet company and they want us to move over to it

Is that in the contract you signed, you can't install your own internet?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Shady said:

Is that in the contract you signed, you can't install your own internet?

When we move in their was only 1 supplier, Globe.  PLDT had a few customers but had no more capacity.  The 3rd provider came onboard about a year ago and obviously with their tie-in with the developer they have some power.  As always here, it's hard to win v the big boys as I cannot actually make them issue the permit easily even if the law is on my side.  I'll just keep chipping away and see how it goes.  I don't know what the contract says, but I'm pretty certain they cannot insist we move provider (it's not a like for like service as no landline) although they may be able to insist new subscribers go with the new one.

• Like 1