If I book a 1 way flight only will I be allowed entry in the airport check.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted

Dear all,

More than one flight agent told me if i only book a 1 way flight i will not be allowed entry in the airport check.

I have a friend who gave me his address, that i will use for banking and travel purposes.

With his address, is it safe to book a 1 way flight only; or i should really book a return? Even though i won't fly back!

1 way flight only in this case is almost half the price!

I won't risk getting stuck at the airport, so your feedback is really important.

Thank you!

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

The airlines police this if they ask you at all, as they're up for the cost of having to return you to your point of origin.  

It doesn't have to be a return flight, but an onward flight works as well as a "throwaway".  Eg a flight a couple of weeks after arrival to Hong Kong will do it and is much cheaper than the return to the point of origin.  

But having said all that, in the multiple times I've flown in I've only ever been asked once, and this was in Singapore by Singapore airlines staff at boarding.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Having said all that, you're not getting in at all on a tourist visa for the time being.  There's been speculation when that's starting again but it it's just that, speculation.  

• Like 3

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The airlines police this very strictly, if they ask you at all, as they're up for the cost of having to return you to your point of origin.  

It doesn't have to be a return flight, but an onward flight works as well as a "throwaway".  Eg a flight a couple of weeks after arrival to Hong Kong will do it and is much cheaper than the return to the point of origin.  

But having said all that, in the multiple times I've flown in I've only ever been asked once, and this was in Singapore by Singapore airlines staff at boarding.  

I didn't even think about a flight to a near by country, as the flight agent painted a negative picture and said i should have a return, and i associated to the point of origin.

I'll book one to a neighboring country within the 1 month period.

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Having said all that, you're not getting in at all on a tourist visa for the time being.  There's been speculation when that's starting again but it it's just that, speculation.  

I know. We wait, and that's all we can do.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

in normal days , back when we were tourists here we would book the cheapest throwaway ticket after a manila stay, which was air asia to Kota kinabalu , usually available ( pre covid ) for US$ 25. these days the advantage of SRRV visa means no onward ticket required.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Often wonder if anyone reads topics that have been discussed for years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure if cheap tickets, let alone throw away ones are even available now, during Covid and fully refundable ones have left people high and dry too with some only offered credits.  Bit of a non-issue I guess since tourist visas are suspended as of now.

• Like 2