The Silent Treatment, known in the Philippines as Tampo.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

A frequent behavior among Filipinas is to give "the silent treatment" to a partner who has offended or disappointed. Usually even the cause of the misadventure is unspoken, as if the perpetrator should know what he has done without being told. This is seen as counterproductive in Western culture because you can't fix it if you don't talk about it. My Sweetie used to do that and then complain to others that "he won't talk about it." Patient explanation and counseling with a non-Filipino Priest improved the situation.

Today I saw an enlightened article in The Atlantic on the silent treatment. You will find it; XXXX

You should read the whole article. Here's a teaser:

"But when someone is using the silent treatment to exclude, punish, or control, the victim should tell the perpetrator that they wish to resolve the issue. To “voice the pain of being ignored” is a constructive way of expressing one’s feelings, and may elicit a change if the relationship is truly founded on care, Margaret Clark, a psychology professor at Yale, told me in an email. Although a victim of ostracism should certainly apologize if they’ve done something hurtful, Fishel said, “it’s time to call a couple’s therapist” if your spouse uses the silent treatment tactically and often. “One of the worst feelings in an intimate relationship is to feel ignored,” she said. “It often feels better to engage in a conflict than to feel shut out completely.”

If the perpetrator still refuses to acknowledge the victim’s existence for long periods of time, it might be right to leave the relationship. In the end, whether it lasts four hours or four decades, the silent treatment says more about the person doing it than it does about the person receiving it."

Edited by Old55
Removed the link.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Guy, we ask members to please copy and paste news articles not links.

Links often get broken and the information is lost.

Some members have slow internet and it takes time to load from a link.

We get tired of editing posts to include information a member could easily of added.

Thanks for understanding. :cheersty:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Remedy the situation right away, not by correcting the infraction because the reason is unknown, but by being extra nice in other ways.  Dinner out or an increase of money for the household expenditure.  You are in really deep trouble if she starts telling friends and family members what's wrong with you.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Guy F. said:

A frequent behavior among Filipinas is to give "the silent treatment"

“One of the worst feelings in an intimate relationship is to feel ignored” 

The subject of TAMPO, although it was discussed many times before....thank you Guy for sharing.  It's still quite relevant, especially for the new members here.  

Over the 35 years I've been married to Judy, I am guilty also of giving my wife, the silent treatment.  But when I started my retirement years, I had to force myself -- don't sweat the small shit.  And indeed, most of our issues were BS.  I do get angry but after an overnight of unnecessary stress, I try to kiss and make up.

JJ made an excellent point about exposing family issues outside your front door.  It's called Tsismis (gossiping).  Most of time, it starts with your maids and it spreads like wildfire.  All of the sudden, the locals are giving you the snake eyes.  

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Remedy the situation right away, not by correcting the infraction because the reason is unknown, but by being extra nice in other ways.  Dinner out or an increase of money for the household expenditure.  You are in really deep trouble if she starts telling friends and family members what's wrong with you.  

Kinda hard Jake if they refuse to talk, discuss or otherwise say what the issue is. Plus why patronize or reward bad behavior?

For me being in the oldie category I deal with it by being the same, just keep mouth shut and do my own thing, Eventually it goes away, fortunately rarely happens these days.

• Like 5