Before settling down in PH i'd like to spend up to 3 months in some remote island/s where i can be a away from confusion.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

You need to consider getting a power back up as today in Dumaguete we have a 12 hour power cut. This happens quite regularly. It is to replace rotten poles and maybe move vegetation away from the lines. Then you have the illegal connections which can trip the power regulators/transformers which the local electric company seems unwilling or unable to do anything about. I have lived in the phills for 10 years and don`t plan to leave but if you want to work online firstly you have to make sure a decent internet connection is readily available in the area you choose. 

Good advice. I work as an online teacher full-time.

My experience is that poor internet is one issue but you are more likely to experience power outages than internet troubles.

It's difficult to say how many outages we have as they are like buses, ages waiting and then 3 come together! We went 2 or 3 months with none and last week we had 4 - all but 1 was less than 20 minutes which may or may not be ab issue for online workers. We are not allowed generators in our community so I manage my schedule closely and have a power back-up for the modem which outlasts my laptop battery.

To be fair, in my 6 years here both internet and power have improved much (internet more so - thank you 3rd telco and real competition) but again that's localised. Also, our idea of not bad and good is different from back home - 1 outage a month here is good but back home...terrible.

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2021 at 4:00 AM, f5m9v6 said:

Dear all,

Before settling down in PH i'd like to spend up to 3 months in some remote island/s where i can be a away from confusion, with a little amount of people, but with decent internet access!

Which of this options you recommend? Any other option you would add?

Siquijor, Bantayan, Panglao, Malpascua, Camotes islands.

Hi @f5m9v6 welcome here.

Living on a quiet, lush remote island while enjoying one of the ultimate "first world" privileges that is a decent Internet connection and a stable supply of electrical power is every digital nomad's dream.

Like many other Members already told you, the Philippines have made good progress in terms of Internet connectivity and utility company have generally learned to upgrade their networks and avoid those full-day outages due to routine maintenance.

This, in the major cities and the larger town at least. Mega Manila, Metro Cebu, Metro Davao, Clark, Iloilo, Bacolod, etc.

In the kinds of places (Siquijor, Panglao, Malapascua) you are hoping to travel and remote work from, I am afraid you are bound to be disappointed. You might be able to find something just about sufficient to work on non-media-intensive (e.g. copywriting, coding) tasks if you happen to be staying at a hotel, possibly one catering for foreigner tourists.

If your idea is working from your laptop in the middle of a nice beachfront or a mangrove forest, the only thing that might make your dream come true would be Elon Musk's new creature, Starlink (https://www.starlink.com/), if and when it becomes available in the Philippines.

logo_x_black.png

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/8/2021 at 8:45 PM, f5m9v6 said:

In a major cities in some areas where you get https://pldthome.com/   you can have a business plan and up to 300mbps fiber. This is true as i have a contact who confirmed. :smile:

I dont get where you are coming from? Yes we know in some cities and areas you can get good internet if you are willing to be there and pay for it but let's go back to the topic and your first post. If we are not talking about this subject now we can close this topic as now we are confusing a 3 month stay in a quiet area topic to full time living in a city.

Your first post

Dear all,

Before settling down in PH i'd like to spend up to 3 months in some remote island/s where i can be a away from confusion, with a little amount of people, but with decent internet access!

Which of this options you recommend? Any other option you would add?

Siquijor, Bantayan, Panglao, Malpascua, Camotes islands.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Hi @f5m9v6 welcome here.

Living on a quiet, lush remote island while enjoying one of the ultimate "first world" privileges that is a decent Internet connection and a stable supply of electrical power is every digital nomad's dream.

Like many other Members already told you, the Philippines have made good progress in terms of Internet connectivity and utility company have generally learned to upgrade their networks and avoid those full-day outages due to routine maintenance.

This, in the major cities and the larger town at least. Mega Manila, Metro Cebu, Metro Davao, Clark, Iloilo, Bacolod, etc.

In the kinds of places (Siquijor, Panglao, Malapascua) you are hoping to travel and remote work from, I am afraid you are bound to be disappointed. You might be able to find something just about sufficient to work on non-media-intensive (e.g. copywriting, coding) tasks if you happen to be staying at a hotel, possibly one catering for foreigner tourists.

If your idea is working from your laptop in the middle of a nice beachfront or a mangrove forest, the only thing that might make your dream come true would be Elon Musk's new creature, Starlink (https://www.starlink.com/), if and when it becomes available in the Philippines.

logo_x_black.png

The island thing is just to be away from confusion until i settle so i got the info i need.

Thanks for pointing Starlink. It could as you mentioned make it possible to work in the middle of a nice beachfront or a mangrove forest :smile:

Edited by f5m9v6

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont get where you are coming from? Yes we know in some cities and areas you can get good internet if you are willing to be there and pay for it but let's go back to the topic and your first post. If we are not talking about this subject now we can close this topic as now we are confusing a 3 month stay in a quiet area topic to full time living in a city.

Your first post

Yes. Members started expanding on things and providing useful info, that you probably seen dozens of times already.
Yes please; topic can be closed.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, f5m9v6 said:

Yes please; topic can be closed.

Will do.

• Like 1

• Dave Hounddriver locked this topic