Pakikisama: The spoken and unspoken rules and culture for living in the Philippine

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Great post!  Speaking of waiting in line . . . . when I get stuck in a long line I take the opportunity to meet and speak with the people in line.  :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L constantly corrects me for my western foibles that I exhibit from time to time. I am still adapting after more than five years here... I am improving, but there is still room for more improvement with me...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

L constantly corrects me for my western foibles that I exhibit from time to time. I am still adapting after more than five years here... I am improving, but there is still room for more improvement with me...

I have issues waiting in senseless lines but am learning to be more understanding. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Old55 said:

I have issues waiting in senseless lines but am learning to be more understanding. 

Yeah... L and I both get very irritated when waiting in endless and useless queues...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are a better man than me.  I leave all the items in the cart, near the cash register.  Whoever makes the decisions should eventually figure out that taking my money is the mos important part of any transaction.  That plus it provides a little work to the staff who have to put things back on the shelf.

I'll admit I'm with you on this.  It's par for the course in our SM City for there to be countless staff on the shop floor whilst only 1 of the 4 checkouts are in operation with a reasonably lengthy line of customers waiting to hand over money.  No amount of justification of why this is so will convince me it makes sense.   

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

I ask the Mrs to do it for me. She's so much better at it. :mocking:

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I ask the Mrs to do it for me. She's so much better at it. :mocking:

Yeah !  My thougts, exactly. 

I wrote a lengthy post describing all her workarounds the other day.... but then I thought more about it and deleted it half way through, since a few of them seemed to have borderline ethical issues from my personal viewpoint. Naturally, I never mention that to her since she considers it normal and clever to manipulate the systems here to her advantage when possible. Nothing obvious or blatant however, like the jerks who cut into or jump lines. 

Smart , older Filipinas all have their ways of solving some of the daily Philippine problems they encounter. They admire both intelligence and clever peasant trickery equally it seems to me. They do the same in my home country all the time and we call it political acumen, or smart business practices when done on a multi-exponential scale. :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Like 3