Pakikisama: The spoken and unspoken rules and culture for living in the Philippine

softail
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

But what does it say about a country where there are armed guards at McDonalds, 7-11, bakeries, etc.  

well, at least they have someone to buss tables :)

• Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

But what does it say about a country where there are armed guards at McDonalds, 7-11, bakeries, etc.  

Well at least they do open the doors for you.:tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

If you think the US doesn't need armed guards at McDonalds and KFC and public schools, you haven't been paying attention to America.

Back to your question:  It says we can maintain public safety with almost no police, by preventing crime before it happens.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Shady said:

If you think the US doesn't need armed guards at McDonalds and KFC and public schools, you haven't been paying attention to America.

Back to your question:  It says we can maintain public safety with almost no police, by preventing crime before it happens.

First of all, crime is prevalent here so that perhaps defeats your argument straight off the bat.  Second of all, I prefer the Police to police a country rather than a private security force for all sorts of reasons.  

Anyway, it is what it is.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Shady said:

Maybe you've been paying too much attention to Tox News. Only a few such places in big cities in the US need armed guards.

A fair number of public schools have "Resource Officers" who are actual police, but armed guards are present at some businesses only in large cities, if at all.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Heres me thinking the presence of armed guards is but a deterrent nothing else.

Shady
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2021 at 11:01 AM, hk blues said:

First of all, crime is prevalent here

Maybe you should move!

Where I live, there are only a handful of police and the only time they're seen is at checkpoints to catch unlicensed motorists. Still no street crime, no thugs, no savages rioting, everyone is under continual protection thanks to the local tanods, the barangay captains, and armed citizen guards everywhere. This is a culture that prevents crime.

A comparable large city in the US has tens of thousands of police, and still the streets burn with riots, the murder rate is skyrocketing, endless mass shootings. This is a culture that fails to prevent crime.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Shady said:

Maybe you should move!

Where I live, there are only a handful of police and the only time they're seen is at checkpoints to catch unlicensed motorists. Still no street crime, no thugs, no savages rioting, everyone is under continual protection thanks to the local tanods, the barangay captains, and armed citizen guards everywhere. This is a culture that prevents crime.

A comparable large city in the US has tens of thousands of police, and still the streets burn with riots, the murder rate is skyrocketing, endless mass shootings. This is a culture that fails to prevent crime.

Sounds like we are neighbours! 

Explorer
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Shady said:

Maybe you should move!

Yes, it is horrible in the US, just ask the over 4 million Filipinos who are living here, they can't wait moving out of this hellhole once the covid restrictions are lifted...

By the way, the chances of dying from homicide in the PH is 30% higher than in the US but I know, I know, this is just small details...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Explorer said:

Yes, it is horrible in the US, just ask the over 4 million Filipinos who are living here

Living there to make money, despite the horrific crime rate and savagery in the streets.

7 hours ago, Explorer said:

By the way, the chances of dying from homicide in the PH is 30% higher than in the US but I know, I know, this is just small details...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

4.9 compared to 6.4,  230 nations on that list and the US and PH are separated by how many?  15.   A small detail which you haven't found would distinguish between homicides in PH against locals vs. against foreigners. 

More small details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

50 most murderous cities in the world, US has 4 of them, bordered by Mexico with 19.

Philippines? Zero.

Edited by Shady