Thought for the day.

BC57
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have no problem with people complaining about the way of life here, sometimes a little constructive criticism can work wonders. What I do have a problem is when people who have been here many years dig up the same topic again and again. We have a 12 hour brown out on the 6th of June and the same people are complaining. If you are that bothered by no power( to improve the system) Get a back up power source. Remember you came here because you didn`t want to be there don`t try to make here like there.

And I thought our 8-9 hours scheduled brownouts were bad enough, glad we don't have 12 hour brownouts like you get.:smile:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, BC57 said:

glad we don't have 12 hour brownouts like you get

Theoretically they get more done in a 12 hour brown out.  Fortunately I only remember the ones that start at 8 am and go to 6 PM.  They were only 10 hours and quite often they would finish early.  With a back up power supply they really were not a problem.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

Two excellent posts.

I'll admit to having the odd grumble from time to time - I'm only human - and do become frustrated at the stoic acceptance of locals at times but I haven't had to walk a mile in their shoes so...

I will say that things have improved a fair bit since I landed 6 years ago - 40mbps unlimited internet with practically no disconnection was a dream even 2 years ago. Power supply that almost never goes off unplanned for more than an hour - I'll take that. Scheduled outage for 12 hours - I'll plan my day around that and appreciate that they're working on making things better.

I don't do a balance sheet of pros and cons to decide if I should stay, in my current situation I'm not sure returning to the UK would be viable so it's not an option to be mulled over.

I avoid ex-pat groups the same way I tended to avoid groups in the UK and Hong Kong, it's not my thing. That said, they can be both a source and solution to some problems here.

HK may I ask, how much of a factor does the weather play in your decision to stay or return to the UK. 

From my own 2 year stint there its worse than South Island NZ....Major factor in my decision to stay on here, regardless of hiccups.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

It's the unscheduled brownouts that do my head in. Had one the other day I got up at 2:45 am to watch my favorite football team and lo and behold we had a brownout at the very end of the game. Brownout lasted 5 hours. I have battery back up but connecting it up in the dark is a pain in the arse.

Lost the game 1-0 in a European cup final.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm seeing with the advent of technology and the recent issues with covid more locals are realising that complaining gets things done.  Maybe it's the Raffy Tulfo effect.  Things are improving and less are telling foreigners to go home if they highight an issue and a solution. 

• Like 2