Thought for the day.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BC57 said:

Scheduled maintenance to me is equivalent to a brownout in my opinion, the only difference is they tell you in advance when scheduled maintenance is coming. Our area has never had a 12 hour maintenance scheduled so I'm grateful for that. 

We have them scheduled about once every 2 months, mostly during rainy season.  They never last 12 hours, usually 8 hours in reality.  They are always on either a Saturday or a Sunday.  It's not a big issue as it's planned and we can work around it.  

• Like 4

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's not a big issue as it's planned and we can work around it.  

Much the same for us here in Dumaguete and the surrounding towns.  We are due another 12 hour brownout this coming Sunday, they are maybe one per month at the moment and probably ongoing for a while.  Whilst they are definitely inconvenient and unwelcome it is very doable if you have advance notice, it is the unplanned which I dislike the most as you never know whether its going to be minutes or hours without power.  We are fortunate that we just live 20 meters from the beach so at least we do get some cooling sea breezes.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Much the same for us here in Dumaguete and the surrounding towns.  We are due another 12 hour brownout this coming Sunday, they are maybe one per month at the moment and probably ongoing for a while.  Whilst they are definitely inconvenient and unwelcome it is very doable if you have advance notice, it is the unplanned which I dislike the most as you never know whether its going to be minutes or hours without power.  We are fortunate that we just live 20 meters from the beach so at least we do get some cooling sea breezes.

Guess where we are going this Sunday, Eddie mate.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2021 at 11:38 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Honestly I get sick of these type of topics where people with no idea know more than the average idiot. 

I think you should know that I am an above average idiot. :hystery:

• Haha 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Guess where we are going this Sunday, Eddie mate.

I will leave you the keys to my place Jim, we are off to Cebu City tonight for a few days, time to check out the reopening of the bars there AND miss the bloody brownout!  :6:

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

I will leave you the keys to my place Jim, we are off to Cebu City tonight for a few days, time to check out the reopening of the bars there AND miss the bloody brownout!  :6:

Have a great time mate, Good job I have a battery back up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2021 at 2:25 PM, Mike J said:

I think you should know that I am an above average idiot. :hystery:

You might think so :tiphat:

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, Guy F. said:

They do it with redundant capabilities. When one power source fails, power is rerouted from elsewhere to replace it. When one transmission line fails, power is re-routed through another path.

OK; I know nothing coming from a first world country and worked in this field. So my guess is you are right but this is not a first world country. Anyone ever think of the difficulty in transmission since this country is made up of many islands and infrastructure money is not abundant? 

What can I say; Who cares as the building I live in generators will come on hopefully. The only thing I have to add to this topic is often things are not as easy as they seem to the man on the street.

Example I also used to work on roads and the abuse you get when there is a ten minute delay is incredible but if you did not do maintenance and someone wrecked their car or died even more hell will break loose. 

This is why this topic gets under my skin, been there and done that and everything seems like hitting a switch to the average person which is not the case is easy. 

Anyway if issues with brownouts or similar will ruin anyone's life as an expat I wonder if those people ever researched the country they have moved to before hand? ?  ? ? 

Seems they are expected to provide what we might have had in our first world country. 

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway if issues with brownouts or similar will ruin anyone's life as an expat I wonder if those people ever researched the country they have moved to before hand?

You know the of the man my original post was about he has been here at least 7 years and you would think by now he would have gotten used to it. The same people who constantly complain about things here are the same ones who moan when they do maintenance.

• Like 4

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

OK; I know nothing coming from a first world country and worked in this field. So my guess is you are right but this is not a first world country. Anyone ever think of the difficulty in transmission since this country is made up of many islands and infrastructure money is not abundant? 

What can I say; Who cares as the building I live in generators will come on hopefully. The only thing I have to add to this topic is often things are not as easy as they seem to the man on the street.

Example I also used to work on roads and the abuse you get when there is a ten minute delay is incredible but if you did not do maintenance and someone wrecked their car or died even more hell will break loose. 

This is why this topic gets under my skin, been there and done that and everything seems like hitting a switch to the average person which is not the case is easy. 

Anyway if issues with brownouts or similar will ruin anyone's life as an expat I wonder if those people ever researched the country they have moved to before hand? ?  ? ? 

Seems they are expected to provide what we might have had in our first world country. 

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I never said anything to dispute the above statement. It's abundantly clear that the Philippines will never come close to equaling first-world standards when it comes to infrastructure. It's also clear that having too many expats in the Philippines would ruin the place for me- prices would increase to an unacceptable level. Just trying to open the eyes of folks thinking of limiting my financial elbow room, so to speak.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Hmm thinking 1