Rough Idea Of Costs To Build A Medium Sized Home?

Michael H
Posted
Posted

Hi All

Apologies if this has been asked before! I was just looking for a ball park figure on how much it costs to build a medium sized home in the Philippines?

My fiancee has a (smallish) lot in Leyte at the ocean which we are thinking to build our retirement home on, depending on costs it would be great to start sometime next year with a view to early retirement (I'm currently 43 and would love to retire asap...)

Not looking to build something too huge or swanky, 3 bedrooms, 3 stories perhaps to accommodate this as its not the biggest lot.

Google results were saying 100k pesos or so which seemed too good to be true... but looking at a few threads on here I saw a figure mentioned which was in excess of 1M pesos?

Any ball park figures you guys could offer would be really useful, thanks!

jimeve
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Michael H said:

Hi All

Apologies if this has been asked before! I was just looking for a ball park figure on how much it costs to build a medium sized home in the Philippines?

My fiancee has a (smallish) lot in Leyte at the ocean which we are thinking to build our retirement home on, depending on costs it would be great to start sometime next year with a view to early retirement (I'm currently 43 and would love to retire asap...)

Not looking to build something too huge or swanky, 3 bedrooms, 3 stories perhaps to accommodate this as its not the biggest lot.

Google results were saying 100k pesos or so which seemed too good to be true... but looking at a few threads on here I saw a figure mentioned which was in excess of 1M pesos?

How many sqm? Mine is 150 sqm x 3 floors, balcony on second floor runs the width of the house. 3 bedrooms all en-suit with a cr on first floor.

We built over several years, so difficult to say how much I paid for it. Probably 5 million.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Michael H said:

Hi All

I'll start by saying how long is a piece of string?  

Seriously though, it will vary hugely depending on quality of build/builder and finish required.  I bought house and lot 125sqm house, 2 floors, 5 bedroom and 3 CR.  Typical cooky cutter style but maybe slightly above average for local build.  It would cost you around 6-7m but that's ready built.  I'd imagine you would be able to cut 50% from that if getting it built.  That's very much a ballpark figure and excluding furnishings etc.  

I would say you won't be able to do it for 1m, and 100K would be totally out of the question.  I'd take a stab at 2-3m minimum.

• Like 2

Michael H
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

How many sqm? Mine is 150 sqm x 3 floors, balcony on second floor runs the width of the house. 3 bedrooms all en-suit with a cr on first floor.

We built over several years, so difficult to say how much I paid for it. Probably 5 million.

Thanks for the info, sounds like a similar sort of project, also looking to do it over a period of time I think...

May I ask did you build it in stages for a particular reason?

One thought I had was to build something to start off with so we can start using it, .like maybe the ground floor... then finish the build over a year or two. No idea if this is even feasible, or sensible!

Michael H
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'll start by saying how long is a piece of string?  

Seriously though, it will vary hugely depending on quality of build/builder and finish required.  I bought house and lot 125sqm house, 2 floors, 5 bedroom and 3 CR.  Typical cooky cutter style but maybe slightly above average for local build.  It would cost you around 6-7m but that's ready built.  I'd imagine you would be able to cut 50% from that if getting it built.  That's very much a ballpark figure and excluding furnishings etc.  

I would say you won't be able to do it for 1m, and 100K would be totally out of the question.  I'd take a stab at 2-3m minimum.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured 100k was too low! Good old Google :)

Ok thats useful to know thanks, and sounds more like a more realistic figure. We would want decent quality finishing but not looking for super luxury, just a good quality build.

Michael H
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Agree, and could exceed the three depending on how you wanted final finish such as flooring, cabinets, doors, windows, etc.  And you definitely do not want to have it built if you are not here in the country to supervise the build.   Many and expat and OFW have been cheated and/or taken advantage of if not on site on a regular, preferably daily, basis.

Thanks Mike, my fiancee has her family there so we would have to consider how best to do it, we had thought perhaps one of her family members or hiring a trusted (family friend) architect might work, but we need to give this more serious consideration as its a big outlay and don't want it to go wrong..

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Michael H said:

Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured 100k was too low! Good old Google :)

Ok thats useful to know thanks, and sounds more like a more realistic figure. We would want decent quality finishing but not looking for super luxury, just a good quality build.

No problem.

I'd echo what Mike said above, the key thing is to be able to at least monitor the project.  Even that will not in any way guarantee anything but it will give you a better chance.  I'm sure you know by now, but standards here are not in line with the UK BUT neither are prices t.b.f.  If you can build a 3-bed house in the UK for 50K GBP or so, let me know!  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Michael H said:

Thanks Mike, my fiancee has her family there so we would have to consider how best to do it, we had thought perhaps one of her family members or hiring a trusted (family friend) architect might work, but we need to give this more serious consideration as its a big outlay and don't want it to go wrong..

My tuppence on this - I'd keep family and "business" apart unless they are actual contractors.  And even then I'd still keep them apart! 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Michael H said:

Any ball park figures

Big ball park....2012 we built a 2 story, 3 bedroom (one used as aircon family room now) 2 baths, large living/dining room/kitchen, dirty kitchen, fair size front yard, 2nd floor sitting area with mini kitchen right around 70K USD

• Like 1