Classic rock quiz

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Heeb said:

Did anyone else get the 13 free albums for a penny deal from Columbia clearing house and fail to pay for the 8 albums afterwards? I was so scared, they kept sending threatening letters and I was only like 13 years old.

I remember those and think I fell for it once!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack D said:

Although we didn't realize it way back then, but vinyl sounded so much better than 'high-tech' CD's and streaming.

It has made a huge comeback!  My wife's Filipino BIL in New Zealand has a nice collection of classic rock and he loves shopping for them both at some retail stores and e-bay.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack D said:

I miss hearing all of the subtle background sounds that get filtered out, since digitalized music is just a series of zeroes and ones. If music cannot fit into a 0 or 1, it just eliminates the warmth and charm of a bygone era.

The Hi-Rez files or SACD's can sound more detailed and organic but vinyl being analog is still the best sounding. How long have LP's been around? It's over a hundred years!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack D said:

I miss hearing all of the subtle background sounds that get filtered out

Eh??  What's that sonny?

But seriously, I used to enjoy the quality of good music until middle age caught up with me.  And now I cannot not hear the full quality at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Eh??  What's that sonny?

But seriously, I used to enjoy the quality of good music until middle age caught up with me.  And now I cannot not hear the full quality at all.

Cheer up mate... As Seth Rogen once said (there's a legal substance in Canada) that even makes music sound much better :tiphat:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Almost 50 years ago I invested 1200 dollars in a new audio system.  That was big money in those days.  I put on a copy of "1812 Overture with canon" and cranked the volume to max.  It didn't shatter any windows but my dog refused to talk to me for a week. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I sold off all my vinyl records a few years ago and my prized player...

My favourite, to this day is still Jimi Hendrix and Voodoo Chile... I don't play music at the ear shattering levels I used to before since I already have tinnitus and a slight hearing loss in one ear. But, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Hendrix and some others really keep me going. Zeppelin is great, but I cringe whenever I hear "Stairway to Heaven," yet again. Same with Creedence... so many tunes overplayed have ruined them in my experience...

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't play music at the ear shattering levels I used to before since I already have tinnitus and a slight hearing loss in one ear

Loud music is why God gave us two ears. :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Loud music is why God gave us two ears. :hystery:

I sometimes, now, regret attending the rock concerts from my teens and early twenties... also the 80 watt stereo I bought so many years ago - with headphones. But I guess not is all bad because the roosters, goats, local radios and stereos don't bother me as much now as they might have before...:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

I sometimes, now, regret attending the rock concerts from my teens and early twenties... also the 80 watt stereo I bought so many years ago - with headphones. But I guess not is all bad because the roosters, goats, local radios and stereos don't bother me as much now as they might have before...:smile:

Reminded of the movie "Hello Vietnam" where Robin Williams the DJ quotes a howitzer guy's music request; "I don't care what you play as long as you play it LOUD" :hystery:

• Like 5