Mailbox Services - Updates?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

My question would be why not change your Home of Record to the Philippines? That is what I did and have not paid state taxes in 9 years. Only disadvantage is that you can only vote in federal elections. Unless you need to be a "resident" of the states for some sort of benefits I would just be honest and change it to the Phil 

Only disadvantage?  Having my address in the Philippines has caused me a long list of problems.  Investment banks will shut you down if you tell them you are living in the Philippines.  How do you get mail?  USPS sent to the Philippines is putting it into one of the worst mail systems in the world.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Obviously the systems in place vary between the UK and the USA because I've lived outside the UK for 17 years now and never needed a mailbox and have used my actual address as my postal address with no problems.  Sure, I may wait 3 months for a bank statement to get here but I don't need it.  Anything that is urgent can be done online these days.

As I say, the systems in place must be different between countries.  The tax regime must be a big factor.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How do you get mail?

Is there anything you really need mail for these days that cant be done or seen online? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Is there anything you really need mail for these days that cant be done or seen online? 

Very rarely my bank will require what they call a "wet signature" but other than that pretty much everything is possible online.  Of course, bank cards and things like passports need to come in the post but the UK uses a courier for passports.   

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Unfortunately for me, yes.  For others, perhaps not.  You might recall that Scott and I had U.S. government checks mailed to us in the Philippines.  What a pain!  And my brokerage will not allow a customer to live in the Philippines.  I used my sister's California address for several years and the the tax nazi's were after me to pay California income tax every year.  My sister was also very unorganized with handling the mail too.  Similar to Philpost!  :hystery:.

I have the following things that I need and / or want a U.S. address for:

Brokerage

Bank accounts

Life Insurance

U.S. Credit card

Social Security

U.S. Income taxes and stimulus payments.

Last year, a lot of money in the form of checks when I sold my house.

And currently, the processing of the U.S. visas for my wife and step-daughter.

Some of those I can do almost everything online but they still mail me things, even though I have opted for "paperless".

Only 1 more year of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2021 at 10:36 AM, OnMyWay said:

Good Afternoon,

We regret to inform you that the location that we use to service your account in Orlando, FL abruptly decided to stop working with us. We were completely blindsided with no warning. In fact, we had recently approved a price increase for operations at this location just a month prior. The locations that we utilize are not bound to work with us for any length of period as they are third party locations. We worked diligently with our other partners to work to come to an agreement to continue operations but the location owners did not wish to continue under any circumstances. As a result, we must wind down operations at this location by July 31st, 2021.

We have secured a new location in Orlando, FL that has been operating since the 1980’s. The location is very experienced in this type of work and we feel very comfortable about the forthcoming working relationship. If you login to your mailbox, you will be able to see your new address listed. The address format is also shorter which should help with useability as well. Note: We are going to work to transfer your USPS Form 1583 but a new one may be required at some point. This information will be posted in your online mailbox if necessary. However, your new Orlando, FL address is available for use immediately.

How to prevent this from happening in the future? Easy. You can use our Sanford, NC Address directly. This is our main facility and it is where we operate out of and where all of your mail comes anyway. It is owned and operated by Traveling Mailbox solely. If anyone wishes to transfer to this location, you can keep your mailbox number, no new USPS Form 1583, and we will provide one month of free service. The address is shorter, cheaper, easier to use, processing will be faster and more direct and your mail and packages can go to the same address. If you wish to move to our Sanford, NC Location, please email Support@TravelingMailbox.com and we will make this change for you.

Note: If you wish to use a different address other than Orlando, FL, you will need to go to our pricing page and signup for it directly. You may use the following coupon code to get 50% off the first month. Once you signup and get your new address set, you can cancel the Orlando, FL Address from your Billing Portal.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. This is an unfortunate reality of any service that you pick. Its cost prohibitive for us to open shops directly in each location. So using third party locations is the only way. Normally we would give longer notice if this was going to occur but we wanted to work to find a good long term provider.

After rereading this letter I decided to keep Travelling Mailbox.  I only need it for 1 more year as we are moving to the U.S.  They have already changed my address so the pain now is contacting everyone with my new address.

HappyJack
Posted
Posted

I will have to start looking for a service in Florida where there is no state tax.  I do remember ready stories of some states hounding people who moved to new states to pay up.  You can't have ANYTHING in the old state that still shows residency including your drivers license. 

What state are you moving to On My Way?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, HappyJack said:

What state are you moving to On My Way?

Most likely Texas but Florida is a small possibility.

HappyJack
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Most likely Texas but Florida is a small possibility.

Texas, no state income tax.  SMART!!!!!!!!! 

• 1 month later...
TyrionLannister
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, JDDavao said:

US Global Mail is in Texas and they just today sent me an email notice that they're soon to migrate accounts to an improved software platform without raising rates. Might be a good time to check them out. I've not had a problem with them in 6 years.

I have been with them about the same amount of time and agree that they have been solid.

I use them a few times a year to aggregate and ship small things to me here and there rates are no longer competitive.  I will still keep them for letter mail because I don't have much and of course for a US address that Vanguard requires but for shipping I will look for a new solution.

• Like 1