Roof Rats

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I know you asked Graham, but I will add my experience... I raised pet rats too. They cannot resist peanut butter. You don't need a lot, just a small blob will do it.

I agree with Tommy.  I watched a few studies on the type of food vermin go for and it dispelled a few old wife tales about mice and rats loving cheese etc. They apparently have a very fast metabolism so crave high energy food, sugar and peanut butter being high up there.  Both were used in traps as even a fast mouse or rat has to hang around to eat sugar or peanut butter.

• Like 5

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Tommy, once again I have to say that in my absence my partner is relying on me for all things not covered in the Philippines manual of useful hints in the kitchen, so I will inform her to pickup the pieces of cooked bacon I asked her to leave out in the outside kitchen, and put the peanut butter blobs instead.

My reasoning for doing this is because although there has been dead rats and dead cats found around the property, I want to continue with the program, rather than the repairs on the cars, seems a cheaper option.

Although there has been a couple of Cobras seen in our backyard there must be better menu options down at the river for them, long fat lizards are down there and plentiful, why would a cobra bother with rats!

A couple of rat snakes have also wandered into the yard at times, I guess they are not doing their job as well.

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks Tommy, once again I have to say that in my absence my partner is relying on me for all things not covered in the Philippines manual of useful hints in the kitchen, so I will inform her to pickup the pieces of cooked bacon I asked her to leave out in the outside kitchen, and put the peanut butter blobs instead.

I'm not sure even rats would like Philippine bacon. :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

My reasoning for doing this is because although there has been dead rats and dead cats found around the property, I want to continue with the program, rather than the repairs on the cars, seems a cheaper option.

Although there has been a couple of Cobras seen in our backyard there must be better menu options down at the river for them, long fat lizards are down there and plentiful, why would a cobra bother with rats!

A couple of rat snakes have also wandered into the yard at times, I guess they are not doing their job as well.

Cheers,

I'm just slightly confused about laying bait for the rates - it may simply encourage more rats to come than at present?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I'm just slightly confused about laying bait for the rates - it may simply encourage more rats to come than at present?

Rats are extremely smart and word will spread about how dangerous your home is and they'll soon find an easier victim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I just want to get rid of them, now not knowing how a rat thinks, besides politicians, I am guessing that they might have some smarts about them to remember where there is food. 
Basically I cannot afford to pay mechanics $500 to rectify the damage they do to both cars, so I will just keep exterminating the “Dirty Rats”, who said that James Cagney?

• Like 2

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

They don't like Philippine cheese much either judging by a test run of the rat cage trap outside last night!  I baited it with a piece of Eden brand cheese our son eats. This morning it was still intact and nary a knaw mark....will need to try Peanut Butter next...can't stand the stuff myself but if the rats love it we will buy a jar. 

Edited by OzeMike
spelling correction
  • Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

But what is Philippine bacon, is it the leftover from something else? I have never in all my travels seen anything like it,

”Money for nothing”.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I used to set out enough for a banquet for all.  The more the merrier.  Bait for all comers.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Rats are extremely smart and word will spread about how dangerous your home is and they'll soon find an easier victim.

Out the movie "Ben" on a replay loop.   Oops, wrong movie.  :hystery: