Roof Rats

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

But what is Philippine bacon, is it the leftover from something else? I have never in all my travels seen anything like it,

”Money for nothing”.

"And your chicks for free"  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OzeMike said:

They don't like Philippine cheese much either judging by a test run of the rat cage trap outside last night!  I baited it with a piece of Eden brand cheese our son eats. This morning it was still intact and nary a knaw mark....will need to try Peanut Butter next...can't stand the stuff myself but if the rats love it we will buy a jar. 

I am not even sure it is really cheese.  :89:   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, Onemore52 said:

But what is Philippine bacon, is it the leftover from something else? I have never in all my travels seen anything like it,

Huh. Plenty in supermarkets from Philippines manufactures. Mostly frozen. 

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Huh. Plenty in supermarkets from Philippines manufactures. Mostly frozen. 

My apologies for gloating, however it needs to be said that while I have been in lockdown in Ozzie I have been making the most of the bacon and other things not available in PI, bacon that is thick and is not just the dog tails that have been sliced with a razor blade to make sure they are thin as humanely possible, maybe cut with a scalpel.

To rub salt into the wound for you folks, I am also indulging in red and white wine, as much as my liver can tolerate, such as  the joys of being under Australis version of martial law, without the curfews, but there are soldiers roaming the streets, and one person got caught putting the rubbish bins on the kerb out of permissible hours and fined $1600 for that.

I would say more but I have to get to the grog shop.

Cheers

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

My apologies for gloating, however it needs to be said that while I have been in lockdown in Ozzie I have been making the most of the bacon and other things not available in PI, bacon that is thick and is not just the dog tails that have been sliced with a razor blade to make sure they are thin as humanely possible, maybe cut with a scalpel.

To rub salt into the wound for you folks, I am also indulging in red and white wine, as much as my liver can tolerate, such as  the joys of being under Australis version of martial law, without the curfews, but there are soldiers roaming the streets, and one person got caught putting the rubbish bins on the kerb out of permissible hours and fined $1600 for that.

Cheers

Now you are just being mean.  :hystery:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately,  out here in the province rats are part of the wildlife. Our neighbors have cats, so that might be a help. From time to time, early morning a rat might be heard running around in the eaves up above, but they don't stick around. In the early evening occasionally there might be one rustling around.

We try to keep all branches along the roofline trimmed as that seems to help. Last time I made a large Meoww sound, and the rat disappeared, but not sure how that would work for anyone else. :smile: We close our kitchen windows at night so as not to entice any with cooking smells from the day.

It used to be scary and annoying for me to hear the sound of a rat, but now I've accepted that these animals are part of nature here, and will come and go from time to time, whether we're aggressive about chasing them or trying to catch them. 

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, Onemore52 said:

Agree. Most of the stuff ('bacon') you will encounter in the Phils is frankly, bloody revolting. :sad:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Cheers

I guess if you know where to buy good bacon, thick and from direct supplier here which is Cebu city then just like aussie bacon. If you live somewhere else might be harder to get. Even Metro have imported thick cut American bacon and probably S&R does to.

We can drink as much as we like at home too so no different. Liquor ban means banned drinking in public.

Anyway back to rats :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway back to rats :tongue:

Rat Bacon seems a step too far... :whistling:

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Mike J