Balikbayan Questions/Advice

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, they even took my Mrs to one side on our first Balikbayan trip over to Hong Kong...for questioning.

(Probably the shock of seeing her with a decrepit old bloke :unsure: ).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Yes, they even took my Mrs to one side on our first Balikbayan trip over to Hong Kong...for questioning.

(Probably the shock of seeing her with a decrepit old bloke :unsure: ).

Similar experience here, sad thing was, many foreigners I spoke to while waiting 2 hours for interview had lost their flight due to delay. Thank goodness we were very early but still only just made it to flight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Happened to us also, SO was taken aside to be questioned.  They were calling flights but by the time their questions were answered it had taken over 2 hours and we missed check in and the flight.

Travel insurance wouldn’t cover it because they don’t cover immigration delays and we couldn’t get a refund from Philippine Airlines.  Ended up getting a partial refund from my credit card company.

The thing is… we couldn’t check in more than 3 hours before the flight and with a 2 hour delay that leaves little time to get through to the gate.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Happened to us also, SO was taken aside to be questioned.  They were calling flights but by the time their questions were answered it had taken over 2 hours and we missed check in and the flight.

I had a different experience with GF and I going on a visa run. Arrived at airport in plenty of time. Paid tax and proceeded to immigration. They interviewed her after filling in a form. She came back to me to get phone where photos of us were stored. Less than 10 minutes and on our way.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

We weren't too long either. The Mrs showed them our Marriage Cert, plus some pics on the phone of us and our son. (He went with us the second time... to Hong Kong. He is dual national anyway). 

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I had a different experience with GF and I going on a visa run. Arrived at airport in plenty of time. Paid tax and proceeded to immigration. They interviewed her after filling in a form. She came back to me to get phone where photos of us were stored. Less than 10 minutes and on our way.

If you weren't married... how did they know you were together... and why did they care?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

If you weren't married... how did they know you were together... and why did they care?

All Filipinas are questioned and more so if first time out and she more or less has to prove why she is leaving the country. They care as some people leave the country to work without permits, some are trafficked so they get questioned. Easy as we are at immigration together as a couple so easy to prove we are a couple. Thats why. I guess your fairly new in how the Philippines operate? 

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I guess your fairly new in how the Philippines operate? 

Haha... I will admit I didn't know all Filipinas get questioned when they leave the country... but I'm actually not new by stretch... been married 40+ years... lot's of trips and stays there... some long, some not... but never got questioned why we were leaving. Maybe just luck on our part.  However, in 1979 when we left together the first time (she has a K-1 in hand) I actually ran out of cash  when we got to the line where you have to pay the "exit fee"... think it was $20USD each then... I only had $20 and managed to talk to them into letting her take the $20 and proceed... and they let me pass for free. Guessing things have changed and wouldn't happen today.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

All Filipinas are questioned

Fake news. Have left the country multiple times and my wife has never been questioned. Perhaps because we are the same age, or perhaps because we have always either traveled to the States, Australia or some other destination where the Human Traffic problem is not a factor or maybe my wife does not fit the profile of a human traffic victim

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, scott h said:

Fake news. Have left the country multiple times and my wife has never been questioned. Perhaps because we are the same age, or perhaps because we have always either traveled to the States, Australia or some other destination where the Human Traffic problem is not a factor or maybe my wife does not fit the profile of a human traffic victim

Probably because your wife has been out of the country before.  They know these things.  Everyone I know has been questioned.  One couple, Filipina married to an American, were turned back and it cost them their vacation flights.  So different strokes.  I would always prepare for that.  OH . . . I tell a lie. . .  my Lyn was never questioned but that is probably because she had a permanent resident visa for Canada . . and if enquiring minds want to know, she is 38 years younger than I so pffft there goes that argument.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1